I like these! I remember all the hype and build up and seeing them for the first time. A mate bought one new. I think his had problems with horizontal loads getting to the stratos shock.

Nice bit of history though!

Almost choked on my Lunch reading your Reply

rowley":2epsbjqg said:
Man that's really touching. Cheers!

Spelt my name wrong though.

Just kidding

Now that would be a right Royal F*** Up since it'd be there as long as the paint
and on the wrong side to be able to cover up under a frame sox ! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

YOU had me going for a few heart stopping moments though :twisted:

:LOL:

was8v":d566y23d said:
I like these! I remember all the hype and build up and seeing them for the first time. A mate bought one new. I think his had problems with horizontal loads getting to the stratos shock.

Nice bit of history though!

You're not far wrong there buddy, the Stratos was on its last legs, although to be fair it had given Rowley 15yrs service so no one can grumble !! and if the replacement lasts half that I'd be happy.

I've upgraded the Stratos with a fully refurbed Fox Alpes4, whilst being period correct and an OEM option back in the day, personally I don't think it looks as nice as the Stratos unit, (which I'd have preferred to use) but just couldn't find anyone even the remotest bit interested in having a butchers at it....

The build now looks a bit more DH rather than a XC dart, which I suppose will now match the longer (80mm) travel on the front end...... You just won't see me launching myself off some mental drop off to test the travel :LOL:

Your build is looking really good. I would like to confess that I'm a fan of this bike too.
This is mine, picture taken just after a very wet ride on the Quantocks.

It has the stratos shock on it with out lock out and I notice from the picture is mounted the other way round to yours?

The rest of kit on the bike is pretty standard spec with parallax hubs etc and a very basic rock shox fork which I'm looking to upgrade when i can find one.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 1,848
But in your memory I did have your name put on the rear non drive stay before they applied the clear coat.

Brought a tear to my eye that ;) . The mango paint is stunning - top job indeed :cool:

Orientation of Rear Shock

ChrisG":2rscy4ce said:
It has the stratos shock on it with out lock out and I notice from the picture is mounted the other way round to yours?

Neil

Good to hear from another kindred spirit (or some else dropped on their head at birth) :LOL:

Like you I've mounted the replacement rear shock in the same Orientation however after checking the Catalogue Archives on here I've found it mounted both ways... so I guess even the factory didn't have a right/wrong set up.

Good to see you still get your X1 dirty, Mines being built to ride and enjoy but I must confess I'd probably end up spending ages cleaning it after a good ride :LOL:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,882
Hi
Here is the 'owners manual' as promised. Theres not much to it really as inside it mentions that it is designed as a service free sealed unit.

Attachments

• doc1.jpg
    doc1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,839
  • doc2.jpg
    doc2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,839
Sunny Delight

Got the lower fork legs back from Argos in Bristol last week, and now have a shinny set of MK1 Judy’s. :LOL: :cool:
To add something a little different to the front end I had Argos stencil in the “Orange X1” logo using a different shade of gold before they applied the Lacquer, I’m happy with the result but think I should have gone bigger…
I'm not one to shy away from making a decision, but I’ve yet to decide whether to stick with the modern black DT rims or replace them with a pair of Mavic 517 Sunsets laced up with silver spokes. (hence why I’ve yet to fit the cassette and chain)
Don’t want to get to precious about being period correct as this is a bike to be ridden… but I’m so torn as Sunsets look cool, but I do like the Black DT rims
The newly acquired Onza H.O.X’s and Orange ferrules complement the build and add to the citrus flavor ! (Love or hate Ebay but it has its uses)

I've posted below are a few pictures of the build, that’s if you can see the bike for the grass (which seems to be growing faster than bamboo at the moment due to the rain and a little help from Miracle grow) The rear end is a lot darker shade of Mango/Orange than the pictures alludes to, as the sun light was reflecting off metallic silver flake in the paint. :cool:

I’ve borrowed a set of wheels from another bike for a sneaky ride, but looking forward to slinging a leg over it for real very soon.

Attachments

• 6 Andy McLeish.JPG
    6 Andy McLeish.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 1,786
  • 5 Rear Right.jpg
    5 Rear Right.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 1,786
  • 4 Cranks and Orange Onza's.jpg
    4 Cranks and Orange Onza's.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 1,785
  • 3 Stencilled Orange X logo .jpg
    3 Stencilled Orange X logo .jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 1,786
  • 2a Sunny Delight .jpg
    2a Sunny Delight .jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 1,786
  • 2 Orange in the sun.jpg
    2 Orange in the sun.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 1,786
  • 2 Orange in the sun.jpg
    2 Orange in the sun.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 1,786
  • 1 Oranges in the Sun.jpg
    1 Oranges in the Sun.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 1,789
Very nice job you've done there. Slight pang of regret but not one that will turn me to drink! Was it rechromed in the end or just polished?

Back