1992 Trek 9000

how do you find it rides dave ?

i was quite impressed with mine ,the forks need work but the backends
suprisingly good

the fork needs looking at. i weigh 17.5st and there is no sag! takes a decent hit to move them and the top out is incredible. to be fair though i have yet to check the pressure and damping settings.

rear end, mixed feelings. the spring is so soft it sags through 1/2 travel but having said that, it hasnt bottomed out that i have noticed. flex doesnt seem to be an issue and the bobbing is only really evident if you stomp on the pedals.

nowhere near as bad as the haters would have you believe.

as advised, i am going to put the elastomer back in and wind up the preload, see how it is then

On your forks, afaik you need a special tool to adjust the damper. But I've no idea what it looks like do you have it ?

Air pressure should be 42 to 45 PSI for you with these.
Rebuild looks interesting (you fill them with oil completely) then hit them to blow the seals out takes 15wt as well.
No idea what seals it uses or bushing, though apparently the bushings in them where not to good (they made better ones later).
You can pinch the newer Mogul stuff I think though.

FluffyChicken":1oopn5sn said:
On your forks, afaik you need a special tool to adjust the damper. But I've no idea what it looks like do you have it ?

Air pressure should be 42 to 45 PSI for you with these.
Rebuild looks interesting (you fill them with oil completely) then hit them to blow the seals out takes 15wt as well.
No idea what seals it uses or bushing, though apparently the bushings in them where not to good (they made better ones later).
You can pinch the newer Mogul stuff I think though.

that might explain the troubles i have with one set of these ,they blow right thru the travel even with 45 psi in them
will try your fix ben

Long time since I have seen this bike so have it some love tonight. Followed mikee's advice and refitted the original shock with the preload wound up. Also tightened up the pivot bolt lol . A scoot up the street and a hop off a few kerbs seems to suggest it is a million times better.

Have you had the shock apart mikee? Looks like there is a damper unit inside, not that mine is operational.

I really like this bike, I am going to give it a bit of love, swap out the bar, take out the spoke protector, I have located one original tyre,

thats a good donation!

I have broken a rule and used a part destined for another build on this one.

as much as the scott bar is inoffensive (to me) i just couldnt cope with the narrowness, made worse by the curve at the end so last night I swapped it for a Zoom 150 which was set aside for my KHS Team.

Heres a couple of pics with the saddle adjusted, rubber shock back on and the new bar

IMAG1216 by lewis1641, on Flickr

IMAG1218 by lewis1641, on Flickr

tyres next. i have a single original one on the way. going for a black seatpost then i think i am done.

Not sure why you need a silver post, looks good as it is.
I think the post balances with the silver fork stanchion

Looks great Dave, wish I had persevered with mine a bit more really.

When are you coming out riding on it with us?

Ben and I are just about on 1st name terms with the bridge cafe staff now if you fancy joining us soon :LOL:

Back