X-lite / Raleigh Ti Disc Brake Conversion

Nice bike :)

Once I'm finished testing and modifying the plastic printed clamp I could post it to you to see if it fits your frame. Doubt it fits, but worth a try perhaps? Same goes for anyone else wanting to try it for size.

Rae

Loving your work. Just a thought, I've seen some older frames with the disc mount between the stays rather than in the more conventional position which your clamp caters for. Would it be worth investigating a mount that fits within the stays, as whilst I think yours looks great, you may be able to create a more elegant solution, as well as potentially reduce the amount of hose needed?

Just a thought?

Thanks, sounds like a great idea, have you a link to an example? The dropout takes up a fair bit of the corner so it might be tight for space, but if it saves weight it would be worth a go. Any info would be appreciated :)

have you a link to an example
Here are a few...
IMG_5403.jpg
DSCF0100.jpg
p4pb7809239.jpg
avidconversion1.jpg

It does look a bit tight in there, though...

All the best,

Rae":1t29bugo said:
Thanks, sounds like a great idea, have you a link to an example? The dropout takes up a fair bit of the corner so it might be tight for space, but if it saves weight it would be worth a go. Any info would be appreciated :)

some old Gary fisher and Klein frames had mount on the chain stay with the brake calliper sitting in between the chain and seat stay triangle.

neat solution but there are few callipers of the correct shaoe that will fit there so choose your calliper first!!!

below is how I used a Magura front calliper (the only one I could find that would fit but they may be others) with my DIY adapter; it works very well in fact :LOL: but as the bleed screw is below the inlet, the calliper needs to be removed from bike in order to be bled (a minor inconvenience).

dsc06892_167.jpg

another suggestion wold be to make use of the axle drop out as a mounting point; that would make your adapter less clunky.

have you looked into getting a bracket welded on - that would be the ideal solution.

Evening,
Thanks for all the examples. I don't think I can get it to fit there I'm afraid. A few pix of the Mk2 clamp below. Weight is up slightly to 137g but it uses the dropout as an additional mounting point now. I'm planning on a 160 / 180mm disc, hence the need to beef it up.
I'm planning to 3D print tomorrow then hopefully sending it out for machining :) I will post some 3D part pix tomorrow.
Any more suggestions / ideas for the clamp?
Rae

Edit: Weight is actually 137g. 150g is with steel bolts. As if a few grams mattered ;)

Attachments

• Clamp Mk2 iso2 rear view.jpg
    Clamp Mk2 iso2 rear view.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,544
  • Clamp Mk2 iso1.jpg
    Clamp Mk2 iso1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,544
  • Clamp Mk2.jpg
    Clamp Mk2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,544
Does it need the bit between the dropout and chainstay clamp?
Also what about the piece between the disk calliper mounting holes? Is that needed? Could the calliper adaptor hold everything in place on its own? That would look pretty good!
Just thinking out loud really, I have no idea if it would work!

I see what you mean. Use the brake bolts and brake bracket itself to hold the top section together. Yes, I'll take a look. Getting a loan of a caliper and rear disc wheel tomorrow so I'll see if there is space. If it works it'll drop quite a bit of weight. Is the caliper itself strong enough? Worth a look.
Thanks for the suggestion :)

The idea behind the support on the back is to rigidly clamp the flat faces of the dropout, holding everything straight and true. In theory it isn't required but I did it for extra strength.

Back