Dave Lloyd - CATS WISKAS

With 1993? Pace RC35 AB

yoldtl.jpg

yoldtr.jpg

With 1999 Marzocchi Bomber Z2 BAM's

yoldt0.jpg

yold61.jpg

The headset fitted is shockingly bad.

I've had the bike out for one ride since putting the Bombers on and they are a lot nicer than the Pace... but that's 5 years of progress for you.

It's a great thing to ride, pure head down speed machine which is what I was trying to build.

If the mods would be so kind as to move this over to the "Readers Bikes" section :LOL:

Latest pics in it's possible final version with a covering of local "dubs"

yqwkfl.jpg

yqwkfn.jpg

Single cross spoked front wheel - blue alloy nipples

yqwkfj.jpg

yqwkfk.jpg

My proudest moment... :roll:

yqwkfo.jpg

Chuffed to bits with this build now - proper old-skool twitchy race bike - and light as a feather.

Latest tinkerings

Answer Rocker Seatpost to match the stem and bars :D

Real V-brake levers, which don't feel as good as the XTR's that came off :oops:

Union Jack saddle :roll:

yrwm0x.jpg

yrwm0m.jpg

yrwm0p.jpg

I tried fitting a Canti to the rear but the posts are really far apart and simply dousn't work :cry: .
I've managed to get the Avid Ultimates to work by using spacers behind the pads but they are still not great. Good when the pads are brand-spanking but at about half wear half the power goes as well :?
Not sure the real levers will be staying... but they do look cool :cool:

Also waiting on a set of Pace RC31's to give it a whirl rigid... I've blown the Bombers so they need to come off for a fettle. This frame was designed for suspension forks so the Pace should be the right length.

I love a good fettle me... I've had a great evening :LOL:

FRAME: Dave Lloyd - C.A.T.S. W.I.S.K.A.S Smooth Fillet Brazed Reynolds 653 main frame and Columbus rear which has a lovely wishbone. This frame is designed for suspension forks. Reynolds 653 = skinny Road bike tubes :shock: .
FORK: 1999 Marzocchi Bomber Z2 BAMS (so much better than the Pace RC35 it came with). The Bombers are weeping oil at the moment and I have some Pace RC31 on the way from camokid.
HEADSET: Silver Chris King 1" A-head (cheers Scant), Red USE Cap
STEM: Answer Manitou (Owned since 1995 and been on a good few of my bikes, a piece of bike art)
HANDLEBAR: Answer Hyperlite with BERT's (Owned since 1995, but not used that much)
GRIPS: Club Roost clear with Retrobike stickers underneath.
BAR ENDS: Icon stubbies (my fave bar-ends ever)
BRAKES: AVID Ultimate Black OPS V-Brakes (these feel great). The rear brake spacing is very wide and its hard to set these up. They work well when the pads are new. The bombers are 80mm apart and the rear are a whopping 95mm which is a bit of a design flaw, I've struggled to get any of the V or Canti brakes I have to work.
BRAKE LEVERS: Blue Real V and Canti (Cheers JeRkY). Don't feel as good as the XTRs which came off, but they look better.
SHIFTERS: Suntour XC-Pro 8spd Thumbies (Came on my 1995 Kona Explosif, I love them)
FRONT MECHS: 95-96 XT
REAR MECHS: 95-96 XT (Blue SRP bolts)
CASSETTE: XT 8spd 11-30
CHAIN: 8spd
CRANKS: Middleburn RS3 (cheers again Scant).
CHAINRINGS: Middleburn Compact 32-42, 20 tooth Titanium (cheers StevePSD), Red alloy chainring bolts.
BOTTOM BRACKET: RaceFace Titanium (Cheers Dave_H). I have some SRP alu bolts to put in here if I feel brave/stupid.
PEDALS: Original XT SPDs (I've got some red collars for these)
QUICK RELEASES: Blue Salsa (love these, had them for years)
RIMS: Mavic Silver anodised
REAR HUB: Hope Ti Glide, Blue Flange, clickety click click click
FRONT HUB: Hope Ti Lightweight, Blue Flange (laced 1 cross, blue nipples)
TYRES: Panaracer XC Pro Kevlar Red (I like these tyres, they work)
DRESS SADDLE: FIZIK Arione Ti Union Jack
DRESS SEATPOST: Answer Rocker (to match the Stem and bars¦ I like and trust Answer stuff)
RIDE SADDLE: Bontrager Kevlar-Ti (Owned since 1995)
RIDE SEATPOST: Bontrager C190 Carbon 27.2 (Owned since 1993 or 94, the head has been glued back on a couple of times, it creaks and then turns a little when it needs to meet Mr Araldite again. Started life on one of my Rocky Mountain Blizzards [R.I.P] in late 1993 I think). I love the feel of a good Carbon Seatpost on a hardtail.
SEAT BOLT: ZERO Titanium(?) (Won in a race in 1995)
SPOKES: DT/Sapim (Double Butted)
NIPPLES: two on my chest

The Answer Bars, Stem and Bontrager Carbon Seatpost and Saddle were on the Trek OCLV's I raced in 1995 (must dig out pics). They have since spent time on my 1995 Kona Explosif and 1999 Trek 8900 until they ended up here.

It's been a great fun project and I'm really enjoying the process of building and riding it :cool:

I love EVERYTHING about it.......apart from the UJ saddle ;)
I think a sweet red Flite would look just right on it :cool:

Back