TOLEDO CYCLES LONDON N18 - HAVE YOU HEARD OF THEM?

t100martin

Dirt Disciple
I bought a really nice frame a couple of weeks ago, it has Nervex lugs, they lugs seem to be typical Nervex, they match all of the pictures I've been able to find and the bottom bracket is stamped "NERVEX".
The drop-outs are stamped "CYCLO" and the seat-stay tops are a nice, double-fluted design that I haven't seen before.
It has a GB stem, Weinmann Vainquer centre pull brakes and a Benelux gear shifter.
The transfers on the steerer and seat tube say "TOLEDO CYCLES LONDON N18". I'd like to learn about the bike and Toledo Cycles, but I've tried several searches an can find nothing. I believe "N18" is the Edmonton area.
Do you remember them?
I'll try to post some pictures with this message, but I'm not sure how to do it.

I wondered when one of these would turn up. There was a road test of a Toledo bike in a 'Cycling' magazine in the early 60's. I think it was a primrose yellow colour according to the article (there wasn't any colour printing in those days!) However, I never remember seeing any adverts for them or even seeing a bike in the flesh. I don't think I have the issue in question but the name sticks in my mind as my brother-in-law was heavily into Fencing and Toledo is the town in Spain where a lot of swords were made. Is the trade mark on the badge a sword?

Your photo link isn't working.

Hi Ned,
At last, somebody who's heard of them!
I'm afraid the logo will be a disappointment to you, it features a laurel wreath, a crown at the top (George VI, I'm told), olympic rings at the bottom and an 'Old English' "T" in the centre.
I'd love to post some photos, but I haven't yet figured out how to insert them.
I''l try again;
TOLEDO05.jpg

That seat stay wrapover looks very 'Viking'ish' to me. They did build for the trade and also used a lot of Nervex Pro lugs. Looks in good condition, well worth restoring and keeping as is.

From Old Ned;- "There was a road test of a Toledo bike in a 'Cycling' magazine in the early 60's."

What would be the best way of tracing a copy of the test?

t100martin":26lvaypq said:
From Old Ned;- "There was a road test of a Toledo bike in a 'Cycling' magazine in the early 60's."

What would be the best way of tracing a copy of the test?

I've been looking through my stash of old 'Cycling and Mopeds' mags but haven't found it yet! I reckon it was possibly '62/63'ish.

Just a little update. Another Toledo frame & forks appeared on ebay a couple of months ago. The same item appeared on London Fixed Gear & Single Speed classifieds a few days ago.
I've had no progress with tracing the origins of Toledo Cycles, where they were or who ran the business despite contacting the local press and a couple of cycling clubs in the N18 area.
I did however make contact with someone who had a Toledo in the 60s before it was stolen. To my relief, he said his was silver!
I was anticipating being out on the road on it by now, but unfortunately it's not to be for a while yet.
As my little picture (on the left) suggests, my right leg isn't in the best condition. This was the result of being knocked down by an overtaking white van in January 2011. Issues relating to the quality of the surgery (that's the politest way I can put it) mean that I'll be undergoing more surgery and months of recuperation before the leg gets swung over the saddle.
But it's now fully assembled and only needs air in the tyres, which is incredibly frustrating!!

Back