GT with no name

As the thread opener has not showed a reaction yet although he has gotten vast amounts of input he is probably not interested in finding out for sure. :?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The most investing bit to me is the lugged fork - don't think any GT had those regardless of age. Many, many companies did triple triangle frames : Puch, Appollo, Rainbow off the top of my head. There were also a number of custom builders in the UK who would do them if you asked as it's a very traditional British frame design (first popularised by Fred Hellens - hence Hellenic frame) which GT then ripped off and pretended was their own.
The TIG welding and double drop out eyelets push me away from thinking its a custom frame though and push more towards the Appollo/Puch end of the scale

This discussion has managed to get split over two threads:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196531

Where the OP states there's no GT on the end cap.

Ferry Dusika seems pretty certain it's a Simplon, so I would go with that, as the end cap doesn't look right for a GT and definitely not for the triple triangle Apollos etc.

I did find examples of early GT cable routing entering the right hand side of the top tube, rather than the left, but the other differences suggest it isn't a GT.

bloodfire":1f7hyswo said:
the only surefire way of telling is indeed the GT stamp at the end of the top tube.

However, that triple triangle, though it looks very similar to the GT one, seems to have a lug join on the seat tube immediately below the top tube. GT have always to my knowledge 'pierced' the toptube with the seat tube.

I've never known GT to do internal cable routing.

I've seen one eyelet but not 2, maybe some of the lower end bikes did have them?

Other bikes did have a triple triangle style design, maybe Townsend but this was not a 'pierced top tube design, just a butted joint.

We need more info from OP.

Although I have to admit as a Yank I wasn't familiar with all those other triple triangle designs (except some Japanese ones), I will say my '93 Outpost has double eyelets at the rear triangle like that, and my girlfriends '96 GT Pantera doesn't have the "GT" stamped into the back of the top tube where it protrudes behind the seat (which surprised me when I picked it up for her). So I have to say that isn't a surefire way to determine whether it is a GT or not.

Note this is what a stock '89 Karakorum looks like:

0019large.jpg

Good hunting!

Back