1993 Orange Prestige

So glad you got it finished for todays ride. It looks stunning in the flesh and I don't think I've ever seen such a comprehensive strip, clean and rebuild.
Top work :)

Prestige

Personally I always felt, as the Orange's of this era were very expensive frames, they got specc'd lower end parts, to make them affordable, but I'd gradually change to M900 or similar boutique spec, especially better wheels. Sub 20 pound is achievable, without going barmy on the budget.
These frames deserve much better!

Re: Prestige

Wold Ranger":2qwz5mj9 said:
Personally I always felt, as the Orange's of this era were very expensive frames, they got specc'd lower end parts, to make them affordable, but I'd gradually change to M900 or similar boutique spec, especially better wheels. Sub 20 pound is achievable, without going barmy on the budget.

If you look at the Orange adverts in shops like STIFF from BITD this LX spec was the choice bike.

It was £775 and 25lb.

The DX spec'd version was £15 more, the XT version was £134 more and the same weight. Plus bear in mind that both these groupsets were getting long in the tooth by this year - XT was replace the year after and DX was discontinued.

You had to pay a staggering £444 more to get XTR and that was only 0.25lb lighter.

Great bike - these Prestige frames are some of the nicest riding around IMO.

Cracking job, looks superb :cool:, would'nt worry too much about the paint (for the record i agree that it's a respray/powdercoat), looks very tidy in the pics, if the paint is durable and not hanging off i'd leave it, IMHO the gloss finish looks better than Matt anyway.
Components too, LX is decent kit, XT would be nice but nothing wrong with LX.
Main thing is you obviously like the bike and are getting out and enjoying it :)

jimihendrix":1f1osckh said:
Cracking job, looks superb :cool:, would'nt worry too much about the paint (for the record i agree that it's a respray/powdercoat), looks very tidy in the pics, if the paint is durable and not hanging off i'd leave it, IMHO the gloss finish looks better than Matt anyway.
Components too, LX is decent kit, XT would be nice but nothing wrong with LX.
Main thing is you obviously like the bike and are getting out and enjoying it :)

The figures for weights are all wrong, Lx is way heavier than XTR, those Lx rear mechs, with the long steel cage, weigh well over 300g, compared to a short cage XTR, you are looking at over a quarter of a pound on the rear mech alone. Same applies with the Brake levers.
I just feel a premium Prestige frame, deserves a better group, longer term and those wheels will be over 2 kilo the pair.

Lovely bike. I think I prefer the logo frame colours to my black and orange colours.
Is it rude to ask how much you paid?

It's good to see the bike still getting comments !!

Thanks for the great feedback guys, much appreciated. I have been thinking about passing the Prestige on lately as It has been in the loft since the Bicyclemania Challenge. I came 13th out of 86 in the 20 mile run if you check the results page hehe. If I'd have kept going instead of stopping at the half way point for a natter I would have placed 8th !!! I have to admit it was great to see me overtaking the full suspension crews on the uphill sections. I had to tap a few of them on the leg to let them know I was coming through hehe. The bike performed amazingly on the ride and I was shocked at how it accelerated, the power from my legs just seemed to transfer straight to the ground, amazing. Bear in mind that the tyres are cheap, run at 35psi and I am now 42 years old and have not ridden in anger since the mid 90's !!!

As for the upgrading and weight saving, if I had less projects on the go and this was my sole project then yes, I would spend more monies on a more suitable group. The LX kit if fine and the bike weighed in at 24lb with a heavy (but comfy) saddle. Plus, I think the all black look is quite good. Understated and it tends not to shout 'Steal Me'.

Bicycle Mania picture below, complete with brand new NOS 150mm Tioga T-Bone bar stem, bought from america:

IMAG0319.jpg

Re: Prestige

nevadasmith":20g2dasd said:
Wold Ranger":20g2dasd said:

If you look at the Orange adverts in shops like STIFF from BITD this LX spec was the choice bike.

It was £775 and 25lb.

The DX spec'd version was £15 more, the XT version was £134 more and the same weight. Plus bear in mind that both these groupsets were getting long in the tooth by this year - XT was replace the year after and DX was discontinued.

You had to pay a staggering £444 more to get XTR and that was only 0.25lb lighter.

Great bike - these Prestige frames are some of the nicest riding around IMO.

mine came with suntour xc expert and cost £ 695 back in 93, and nevada say,s great ride. and i would not sell mine for any price.i did a nice 15 mile loop on it today and enjoyed every second :D

Back