HoNC 2012 Aftermath

Yep, that was me. Tis a really nice bike, fell in love with the green and white one in mbuk's works bikes all those years ago! And my name is Robert so I really should of had one for Christmas!

Had a good ride today and where was all this mud eh Daj :LOL:

Just sorry I didn't get a chance to catch up with you all as the guy I was lift sharing with had to rush off afterwards :(

See you all soon and roll on Mayhem :D

Top day out once again. Glad to make it round the 100k, that last dig over Cleeve was a killer! More to follow tomorrow.

Good to know guess finally completed the 100km. Anyone know about Mark S.

paininthe":309xziib said:
Nice pictures and write ups, did the you get the punctures in the Charge tyres? found them quite resilient so far.

Nevadas was in a charge tyre the other in a panaracer to be fair mainly because I forgot to put any rim tape on the wheel :shock: :oops:

Another good HONC. Enough till next year though.

Great to meet up for a good chat with good company too. Though this chat went to shit by mile 50..
:D

John":2gxls772 said:
Good to know guess finally completed the 100km. Anyone know about Mark S.

I've spoken to Mark and he got in a bit before Gus.

Feeling pretty relaxed after the traditional family Sunday meal (a nice piece of ham with a very complimentary Merlot in case anyone is interested) so time to reflect on a grand day out. A few thoughts:

- a great Retrobike showing again, lovely bikes but the sweetest has to go to Dave's awesomely reliable Roberts.

- turning up in plenty of time and still faffing enough to almost miss the start.

- differential pressure in Conti 1.5s; 90 psi rear, 85 psi front. Pounded is the word I'd chose.

- walking past 'riders' on the first climb.

- mistakenly trying to mix it with geared riders on the road.

- even more mistakenly trying to mix it with The Guvnor, Fast James and Gump. Fast James generously held open the gates although to be fair I've always abhorred the feel of rough wood on my skin.

- the look in Gus' eyes at the food stop; "the horror, the horror".

- Gus being more concerned with dernier that metier

- oneeyedjim and the courier bag. Again. Whatever happened to the jungle shorts?

- James and the sweet ss Yo.

- that bumpy field.

- that draggy field.

- the descent off Cleeve Hill gets no better year on year.

- the climb to Cleeve Hill gets no better year on year.

- each year I think "I must get fit for HONC". Each year I find that I'm neither as fit as I want to be nor as fit as I need to be.

- sweet, sweet beer.

A tough day in the saddle, I made it back at 1710 a broken man. I was cramping up by the rest stop and so endured a cramped right leg for the best part of 45km. Plenty of pushing up the hills on the later stages too.

The bike performed perfectly, no mechanicals except the odd refusal to go into the granny ring. Not sure the cramped handlebars were best suited to this ride mind. The rigid forks and 50 psi 1.8 tyres made for a hammering on the bumpy downhills, I think my fillings may need replacing.

I’m not sure why this year was so difficult but I think the cold wind and sticky conditions played their part, perhaps a lack of training too. The heavy bike and cramped cockpit may also have contributed to my day of pain.

Well done to Gus, RB’s newest member of the 100 club, Gravy Monsters turn next year even if just by mistake.

Thanks to Ed and Vinia for some impeccable hosting once more, the weekend really wouldn’t be possible for me without you. A new word learned too ‘gulling’, be careful where you look that one up.

Lets not forget the guy who did the 50K on a Unicycle :shock: - he got back at 5:30 apparently and to think people thought single speeders were nuts doing it !

sinnett177":19fmdqx2 said:
Well done to Gus, RB’s newest member of the 100 club, Gravy Monsters turn next year even if just by mistake.

Maybe ;)

I missed Gus yesterday :( ,good effort for the 100k-ers I did 75 and it totally took it out of me. No pictures from me but look forward to seeing the official ones :)

Back