1997 Stumpy M2.

firedfromthecircus

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Cleland Fan
Feedback
View
Finally finished my 'first' build so thought it was about time I posted something up in this section.

I bought this bike new in '97 while I was down in Hampshire. I had taken out a £2000 loan and spent one half on a car ('85 Volvo 240DL estate in case you are interested) :LOL: and the other half on this.

I still have the bumph it came with.

IMGP0074.jpg

Unfortunately no pics from when it was brand new, but a couple from about 6 months old.

IMGP0093.jpg

IMGP0094.jpg

I had a lot of fun on this bike and it served me well for a long time, but after not cycling at all for a couple of years, and then mainly using my road bike, when I did start mountain biking again I decided to treat myself to a new bike. :shock:

I found retrobike while looking to see if the old gal was worth much. Turns out it couldn't be sold for anything like what it is worth to me in sentimental value, so decided to keep her. The initial plan was just to stash it in the loft so I stripped it down and stuck it up there.
But I had found retrobike, and all the cool old bikes drew me back. After a few nights surfing and seeing what you folk were doing with old bikes I decided I wanted in on the action, and that I should do something with my old M2. :D

So, starting with baby steps, as I am a novice of sorts, it had to be a single speed. :oops:

I found stashed around in various places most of the parts that had been removed long ago and decided to try and build it with as many original bits as possible.

Stem and bar as they were.
IMG_0190.jpg

The forks were shot though so they were dumped. I tried a set of P2s first, but they were just too skinny to fit with the fat alloy frame tubes.

IMG_0185.jpg

So found these P2 jump forks which are pretty heavy duty, and even though they weigh a bit more than the TB's they look right IMHO. The wheels were the latest addition as I luckily found on here a set of single speed hopes. :cool:

IMGP0083.jpg

IMGP0084.jpg

The bars, stem, grips, brake levers, seatpost and crankarms are all original. The brakes are later Avids as the original ones have lost their pins. :cry: The saddle has been with me since about '96 and the pedals were bought in '97. So new half link chain, ss tensioner, headset and new brake cables and we are good to go.

IMGP0086.jpg

IMGP0076.jpg

IMGP0080.jpg

IMGP0088.jpg

IMGP0087.jpg

IMGP0082.jpg

IMGP0091.jpg

IMGP0089.jpg

IMGP0092.jpg

So there you go. My first retrobike build. I hope I have not disgraced myself too much. :LOL:

Two Kilis up next (one '80's one '90's) and my modern Pace so hopefully this is the first of many build threads. ;)

Just been for a wee blast this morning. Mix of road and farm tracks.
What fun. :D
Feels like being a kid again riding singlespeed. :LOL:
This feeling might wear off, but just now I think I am a convert. Might even have to try some proper off road? :cool:

IMGP0138.jpg

Nice! Love the colour.
Whatever happened to Sensible Bike Co? It was a good little shop. I bought a lot of Pearl Izumi there, and still have some of it.
Do you still have the Volvo? ;)

Very nice. Paint looks lovely and fresh

Also impressed with how the Specialized cranks look polished up, they have a very nice form to them

Your bike looked absolutely lethal with the full slicks on there :D

Very nice looks fast probably bomb proof, but how do you get on with your slicks on the rocks :LOL: nice bike does look fun

suburbanreuben":2ynmpo2o said:
Nice! Love the colour.
Whatever happened to Sensible Bike Co? It was a good little shop. I bought a lot of Pearl Izumi there, and still have some of it.
Do you still have the Volvo? ;)

Cheers. ;)

The story on Sensible was mentioned on another thread.

Gruff":2ynmpo2o said:
firedfromthecircus":2ynmpo2o said:
Gruff":2ynmpo2o said:
Also bought from Sensible Bike Company in Liss Hampshire :)

My recollections are that it was a great shop. Very friendly staff (owners I think) who remembered me every time I was there, asked how the bike was and gave me a decent discount on everything I subsequently bought from them. Just a shame I only lived nearby for about a year.

If only all LBSs could be as good. :D

The owner "Tizzy" was a great bloke who always rode with us on Saturdays & always gave great discounts if you were a regular :)

Unfortunately he moved the shop to nearby Petersfield but it was never the same & he ended up having a nervous breakdown & the shop closed :(
The original shop building is still there with its painted mural over the door :)

Anyway better get this thread back on track :oops:

Shame. :(

And no, the volvo is sadly long gone. Been about 15 cars come and gone since then. :roll:
But the Stumpy remains. :LOL:

racer x":136jhxyz said:
Very nice looks fast probably bomb proof, but how do you get on with your slicks on the rocks :LOL: nice bike does look fun

hydorah":136jhxyz said:
Very nice. Paint looks lovely and fresh

Also impressed with how the Specialized cranks look polished up, they have a very nice form to them

Your bike looked absolutely lethal with the full slicks on there :D

Cheers guys. ;)

Unfortunately the slicks had to go. They were a bit long in the tooth and had too much cracking. Great tyres they were as well. Seems from a quick search that conti still do a tyre called the avenue but it is now just a semi-slick. :(

Tbh though I need a bit of tread for where I want to use this, towpaths and farm tracks etc. Thought I'd take a punt on these Michelins especially as they are so cheap, and so far they seem like just the ticket. :D

fantastic!.....its amazing how much more a bike seems to mean to you when you 'rediscover' its charms....the paint colour is striking too, very nice!.... :D

Latest posts

Back