Stinky Main Pivot Bearings....

misteroo

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
..ok..I recently acquired a 2000 Stinky Dee Lux..it is currently in pieces and being cleaned..and parts being replaced where necessary.

I have arrived at the Main Pivot Bearing....basically there is no play in them, but they feel a bit rough...probably due to the previous owners love of WD40!

So....do I remove them and replace..or, as there is no play in them and look in pretty good nick, pack with grease and put it all back together??

any ideas?

And how the hell do you get them out??

There are 2 bearings each side of a spacer...is the spacer fixed or will it come out with the bearings??

:cool:

Attachments

• DSC01553.JPG
    DSC01553.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 464
  • DSC01554.JPG
    DSC01554.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 464
hi, id replace the bearings as they arnt expensive and will prolong the life of your bike. your right about 2 bearings either side of a spacer. the spacer isnt fixed and will come out. you will need a hydraulic press to push out the old bearings and fit the new ones. if possible take it to an engineers shop and get them to do it for a few quid. i got my bearings from ebay for a few quid each and now its smooth as. :D

Are they really that hard to get out??

How about a great big vice and a perfect fitting "drift".... :?

I have the bearings, so I'm half way there!

:cool:

you could try it but make sure you soak them with wd40 for at least an hour before pressing them out as it will make it soooooo much easier.

woohooo...all done.

Ended up going to a friends garage..so....1 Hydraulic press and 4 tonnes of pressure later!!!!

Ta Da.....

Attachments

• DSC01557.JPG
    DSC01557.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 415
  • DSC01555.JPG
    DSC01555.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 415
Back