DA AX hub problem

OK, its now becoming glaringly obvious to me why Shimano dumped uniglide. Having stripped and rebuilt the front hub it was time to tackle the rear. First job remove the cassette.

Stage 1 try Sheldon Brown's no tool techneque: "A neat trick: it is also possible in an emergency to remove the smallest Uniglide sprocket without any special tools. Remove the chain from the rear derailer and loop it in a figure-8 with the crossing behind the cassette, the lower run of chain under the smallest sprocket and the upper run over a larger sprocket. Both runs of chain should be nearly taut. Pull the chain around the back of the sprockets so it engages as many teeth as possible. Turn the rear wheel backwards, only enough to loosen the sprocket. When replacing the sprocket, you need only screw it on by hand. Pedaling normally will tighten it."

No dice.

Stage 2 LBS: 2 chain whips on the cassette and one bloke on each chain whip.

Nothing.

Stage 3 Buy 2 chain whips and repeatedly soak the thing in WD40.

So far nothing, going to let the WD40 soak in a bit then have another go.

I was hoping to have both wheels done in time to take them for a spin tonight. That aint happening then. Will I be able to finish it tonight so I can ride it to work tomorrow?

Any one have any tips?

milko":18b2zixb said:
OK I have now literally stood with one foot on each chain whip and bounced up and down. WTF?

hmm, as far as i remember the end sprocket is definately the locking ring too so i can't see why it won't come off after all that effort.

have you had your porridge this morning?!

:LOL:

after all that it appears after taking the axel apart and cleaning all the gunk out i have found that the hubs must be an earlier model than i previously thought looking at sheldon browns site this is the construction of the freehub.

ax-oldhubDSC00252.JPG

So next question is how the hell do you get this off?!?!

Back