1984 Raleigh Road Ace

shawnb":1oj2ny9i said:
Thanks, and yes a spin sounds like an idea. I'm in Ovingdean.

Cheers.

I'm often in Rustington (halfway twixt Worthing & Littlehampton), I'm down frequently...we could ride to meet up halfway along the coast.

Have a good weekend.

Rk.

Sounds like a very good plan! Two nigh identical Raleighs would be cool !
Have a good one yourself ;)

awesome find, shaun!! well done that man.
a museum piece if ever there was one.

will get that reply written as soon as i get off these shitty shifts!!

craig

:)

Thanks Craig, yes I still can't believe my luck with this lovely bike. I still keep expecting a bit of straw to drop out of somewhere from my 'barn find' :LOL:

yup, it's a beauty indeed! i noticed the list of amazing bikes you've got there, shaun - do you have any photos of the raleigh 531 Pro? i've never seen one in the flesh in spite of all my years in the biz!

rusty bodie":32nfrqbg said:
yup, it's a beauty indeed! i noticed the list of amazing bikes you've got there, shaun - do you have any photos of the raleigh 531 Pro? i've never seen one in the flesh in spite of all my years in the biz!

Look out for a brief (!) pm tomorrow with a pic ;)

Lovely looking bike with loads of the nice bits, I've just paid a tidy sum for one of those stems (is yours missing the plastic cap?) so there's some real money in parts alone.

I shudder to thing what it might have cost to build up from scratch with all those lovely bits today!

Thanks! yes in the early pics it was missing the 600ax plastic stem cap but I got hold of the guy who remakes the dura ace alloy copy bolts (thanks paininthe!) and that's now fitted.
Considering the rarity and only limited use of the ax stuff there's always a fair bit of it on ebay, sometimes sensibly priced too. As said earlier in this thread a road ace with dura ace ax would have been a great bike, but I won't change a thing on this one as it's very nice to know 99% of the parts have been on it from the day it was made :cool:

If I remember those shifters have a cool feature where the rear mech lever moves the front mech lever to prevent chainrub

Hi folks,first post on this site so please be gentle.
Quick question for shawnb: Could you please point me in the direction(link or shop name) of where you managed to get the Iscaselle saddle and what hoods did you replace the black ones with?
I've spent the past week looking for a replacement saddle and have nearly given up the search and was leaning towards a San Marco Concor as a make do substitute. Did you change out the levers or find hoods that fit the originals? I know ax hoods are next to impossible to find.
Any info you may care to share would be gratefully appreciated.
Picked up my Road Ace last weekend for just over £200. Serial no:WP3003597.
Spent about 20 years stored indoors without use.It's nearly cleaner than the one I rode back in the 80's. Saddle and hoods need a refresh,replace bar tape,seat tube+top tube decals and spend stupid money on a bottle and I'll be happy. :)

Latest posts

Back