2008 Independent Steel Deluxe 29er FLW

IbocProSX":6gswqn3k said:
Note I took the guide off and have had zero issues with the chain.
Is this luck or is the full SS front ring enough to stay out of trouble?

I would never dare to ride without some sort of chainguide. Nice bike though, but I think a steel fork would suit it much better.

Kingroons Inde Fab reminded me to post up the recent revamp of my Deluxe 29er.

The pink Independent was my go-to bike for the regular Sunday group rides for over 2 years and then decomissioned (but not sold). This year over the Easter weekend I put it back together with a seslection of used bits from the cave. Richard will approve of the matching skinny steel IF fork.

Admittedly the fork was sourced on purpose for it. And the initial plan was to build it up as a Singlespeed, but that faltered. None of the intended cranksets fitted over the Exzentriker BB cups that I wanted to use and avoid a tensioner. So it ended up a 1x11v, with the other update of note the 25 degree sweep bars. This is up from 12deg previously, and I am a sweep bar convert, should have done that for the first build too.

The first outings were a blast, I really connected with the bike. It is light and agile at 9,6kg and the handling is completely intuitive. Plus the ride is quite comfortable, even supple for a rigid steel bike. Steel IS real.

Enjoy!!

IFthird1.jpg

IFthird2.jpg

IFthird3.jpg

FLW was the designation used by the German IF importer as he sold the frame to me. In the comms around the sale I got this info: "This (frame) was orginally built at the end of 2008 for Eurobike, not ridden too much, shown a lot." A bit of a demonstrator, also for the special paint options btw.

As I understood it at the time FLW was the IF designation of a lightweight tubeset used mainly for road racing frames. Looking in the IFRider.com archives I can see both Ti and steel racers with the FLW designation. The frame is a size Large equivalent 29er (620mm ETT) and is very light indeed. It has held up fine to more than two full seasons riding, including trips to the Harz and Ardennes. Wonderfully light and responsive, as well as comfortable.

Returning to this bike from the carbon fibre hardtail that replaced it I got a clear sensation of the lesser frame stiffness. But after a few miles of riding the comfortable ride stayed and my confidedence in the handling was just like before.

Enjoy!!

Re:

Great build, glad your arms better too. Which fork rides best for you as I am thinking about a Niner fork with a 15mm dropout?

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy riding the bike with both forks, and though it was 2 years since I rode the Niner forks I'd say there is not much between them. The issue of "comfort" when comparing one rigid fork to another is, well...., tire pressure is much more important. Geometry is similar, the bike does really change with the White Bros suspension forks I have also used on it.

There are distinct differences in weight and appearance. The Niner forks are a good deal lighter if that is important to you but come with the modern fatter carbon tube looks. And 15mm compatibility may be an issue, but not for my Hope hubs where I change the adapters in seconds.

Enjoy!!

Back