BB30 to Truvativ external bb conversion

wynne

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Has anyone done this, and if so which system works best? I'd like to use my nice Truvativ Noir cranks in my new BB30 frame.

Thanks

Rich

Ok read about this a bit recently as a mate has had trouble with his bb30 boardman.

We personally hate bb30 and think if the manufacturers cant get the tolerances right they should leave it alone.

We looked at the fsa sleeve and its a 'one time use' type thing as in you can only install it once and remove it once ideally.

There is a mfg manufacturing cup adapters but we thought that these wont solve the problem because they still run on the bb30 bearinsg and whatnot.

His bike was given to him to use for the http://www.dallaglioflintoff2012.com/

We were just waiting fro the problems to happen as we have seen this at least 10 times in the past few months.
Took 2 days for the creaks to kick in.
As its for the slam he isnt allowed to modify it so its the same as the others that will be used.

The best thing we found was http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KCNC-BB30...-73mm-Gold-rrp-29-99-/220983853357#vi-content
Which should allow the use of hollotech cranks (24mm axle i think).
So he would have had to use his own crank set. But better than dreaded bb30.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Wow. That's great information. I'm very dubious about the FSA sleeve too - creak city. That KCNC thing looks like the best option so far.

Rich

No problem, its all theoretical at the moment as he hasnt changed anything yet but i think i read enough about it.

Let us know how you get on if you do go ahead.

If you dont have the proper tools, you can carefully remove/install bb30 bearings with headset tools (we use the park ones, not sure how well others would work).

If you have a BB30 frame, it's lunacy not to use a BB30 chainset with its inherent advantages.

And as mentioned above- a creaky adaptor system is what you should expect. If it doesn't creak, be surprised and relieved.

Fair point. Just a lingering desire to use my very nice and very nearly new truvativ noir chainset...

I've got a Problem Solvers BB30 adaptor in my Cannondale. Uses the existing BB30 bearings and some cups to fit 24mm spindle cranks. Seems a neat and well made solution.

Back