Rotec Pro Downhill Resto-Custom Build

Great build. I'll be honest in that i've never cared for the look of the bike itself, but i do appreciate some fo the design details. The main pivot around the bb and the floating brake arm, great ideas.

The only other bike i can think that ran a roller bearing was the rocky mountain switch was later changed to a bush as customers didn't like the 'take up' in the bearing despite the performance benefit

Velomech":2wathv6a said:
HPIM2309.jpg

HPIM2308.jpg

let's just have another look at THAT! :cool:

Update:

I dropped of the shock shaft at the anodizers and picked up the fork parts. I was feeling pretty good until I noticed something....

The axle had threads, the axle clamp did not have threads.

Very recently White Brothers changed the design of the axle and disc side axle clamp, eliminating the threaded axle arrangement. This newer axle only comes in 110mm length, and my old skool triple clamps required on this project employ a 120mm axle/hub width.

So rather than waiting several months for old style axle clamps, stripping, anodizing and shipping, I decided to put the custom anodized axle clamps in a box to collect dust and build the fork with stock, black ano'd clamps. This was a "winter" project and it's almost summer....

Here is a pic of the lovely fork tubes, axle and clamps. Note the silver clamp on the right with the older threaded design for reference.
HPIM2373.jpg

Parts were shipped out to White Brothers today. I would like to add that Eric at White Brothers has been super helpful and cool about all this custom funny business. Thank you very much White Brothers! Go buy their stuff.

How difficult would it be to machine a new axle w/o threads? Might that be the easier option, while allowing you to use your custom clamps? (of course you'd still have to get it ano'ed). Seems you've got the machining resources...

I'll machine something if it is required to make the bike function. I won't do it to achieve a color. It's too expensive and time consuming.

The build tease continues....

The custom shock extension is back from being anodized. Nice and quick this time because it could go in the black tank with all their other jobs.

Here is the assembled goodness:
HPIM2381.jpg

Close up of the shaft with the needle bearing installed:
HPIM2383.jpg

Shock in its natural habitat:
HPIM2385.jpg

Underbelly view:
HPIM2386.jpg

I'm swamped with spring tune-ups here at the shop and working 12-16 hours a day, weekends too. So I won't have much time to work on this bike. I'm also starting my own bike company and busy with prototyping. I'll try to get you guys the final installments of this build the best I can. Thanks for all your enthusiasm, it helps me stay motivated. Cheers. -Alan

Back