New Build - Once you go black - 2012 Pace 104

Managed to get my first proper ride in yesterday.

Conditions were foul and the mud very sticky!

First impressions are pretty good. The ride is quite sprightly given the frame in my eyes is pretty burly. The bike accelerates really well.

I think I may use the layback post I have not for reach reasons but comfort. Not sure if it was tyre pressure related, down to the saddle or the post but the ride was less forgiving than my Soul. I'm not beaten up from riding but more aware of having been for a ride :)

The Alfine performed amicably considering. It's a system not completely mud proof but I can see where it can be made a little better. The rear sprocket has a removeable guide that gathered the mud. Removing the guide would clear the mud better.

Range wise it was fine too. In fact apart from a brief road section I rarely used gears 5 to 8!

I think I will leave the build as is for now but I will try it with a 100mm fork and a 1 x 6 setup using my Hope SS wheel. My thinking is I could make the casette up using only the ratios I would need ......

Only slight sour point was the cable running. The cable run under the rear stays. That in its self isn't an issue. However, where they attach to the frame corresponds with the widest part of the tyre. Result ...... Reduced room for mud :-(

nice bike Mark...and considering your 18 feet tall, it looks good.....still like the blue though!!

:cool:

misteroo":382hox3i said:
nice bike Mark...and considering your 18 feet tall, it looks good.....still like the blue though!!

:cool:

Thanks fella.

Given the proportions of this frame are very similar to my Soul the Pace does seem to look "better in proportion".

The blue is nice but then it isn't black is it ;-)

All good fun none the less.

The one thing I disliked about my R853 Sirius was the weight.

In theory it should have been closer in weight to the Soul. As a result I sold it on preferring my Soul.

I bought this frame knowing it would be no lightweight so am unsupprised by it relatively heavy total weight.

Ride wise I would say it was on par with the Sirius, maybe a little softer out back.

Not sure that really helps or answers your question! :oops:

I've been out playing on mine today and the more I ride it the more confident I am. They do really eat up the miles and I've found a real sweet spot in the handling. I've hit some big drops today and with 120mm up front it just lapped it up, and it accelerates super well (surprised some kid on his Spark as I rocketed up behind him)

I like the black, but pearl white looks nicer :LOL:

how are you finding the alfine?

and if you don't mind me asking, is it a new one?

Having to come to the realisation that if I want to run gears on my kona again, it might be with one of these...

Very, very nice bike. Modern Retro. Nice to hear that the alfine is doing well, I just decided to put an alfine on my Genesis Fortitude frame, instead of a Rohloff....
And...I liked the squared tubes in the past.

Richard
www.ervehabikes.nl

Back