Where would you choose to live, just to have awesome trails?

CTK":nror5czg said:
I reckon city wise Sheffield is hard to beat- half of its in the Peak District!

Having spent 7 years in Sheffield whilst at Uni, I can only agree. Living in the Eccleshall Road area would be perfect. 20 mins ride out from Hunter's Bar through the parks and you are out into open countryside.
The return journey through Abbeydale Woods was always great too.

Some great shouts here, Sheffield and IOW especially are ones I didn't thin about.

I'm off to do some research on Sheffield...

Due to a recent education I'd have to say Fife.
Best concentration of natural XC singletrack in Scotland both urban and rural with ease of access and amenities though not much proper mountains but all that climbings not good for a middleaged retrobiker anyway :roll:

Re: Where would you choose to live, just to have awesome tra

carter711":2qvw6839 said:
I've heard that Cwmcarn is excellent and also the Lake District?

agreed the trails will be nore interesting and challenging than Surrey (whcih ain't that bad) but would you want to live there considering the weather? I mean, what is the point of having great trails when it is raining all the time and they are under mud?

For that reason I would say Devon for me. (I think it is warmer and not too damp ?)

02gf74":35yrykdi said:
carter711":35yrykdi said:

agreed the trails will be nore interesting and challenging than Surrey (whcih ain't that bad) but would you want to live there considering the weather? I mean, what is the point of having great trails when it is raining all the time and they are under mud?

For that reason I would say Devon for me. (I think it is warmer and not too damp ?)

Ah yes, Wales... "The rainy country"...

Says me, currently sat in South Wales (not too far from Cwmcarn) where it's currently a very nice 16-17 degrees and beautifully sunny, set to stay throughout the weekend ;)

Barneyballbags":39mrgip7 said:
02gf74":39mrgip7 said:
carter711":39mrgip7 said:

Ah yes, Wales... "The rainy country"...

Says me, currently sat in South Wales (not too far from Cwmcarn) where it's currently a very nice 16-17 degrees and beautifully sunny, set to stay throughout the weekend ;)

The Twrch Trail at Cwmcarn is very rough and hard work, I could think of better places to live/ride ;)

Plenty parts of the UK have lower average rainfall than the home counties.

The Highlands have a lot to offer for all kinds of sports. It would be hard to imagine a better location as far as the UK goes, for many outdoor pursuits.

Different, perhaps. Better for some with varying priorities, but generally 'better', no.

Were this a question of the world, I have yet to live in Cali, but some parts of the world have a huge amount to offer. North Africa, South America. Hawaii. So many places.

I live in Swansea, so there are literally hundreds of trails within riding distance, or a short drive away, along with brecon and mid wales not much further.

If I had to live somewhere else, it'd be the lake district, as the riding's a bit different, and there's still mile upon mile of natural riding, and the North has some good man made stuff.

Back