GT with no name

Hansolo

Retro Newbie
I have just bought the GT in the picture and there are no markings on the frame. All I can say about it is that it was originally bought in the UK and then was brought to Malta. It is fully equipped with Deore DX fittings including the crank and pedals. Shimano brakes and shifters STI7. Quick-Release hubs also Shimano and Alesa black rims. Front brake is cantilever with a pulley under the handlebar. Rear brake cable goes into the top tube and exits under the saddle. I will be very grateful if somebody can identify the model and maybe the year of this GT bike.

The serial number is punched on the saddle tube just above the lower bracket. No 890255.

There are no markings to indicate GT,,,,,,,,,I just compared the shape of the frame. If not GT who else makes such a frame?

Attachments

• Pictures 001.jpg
    Pictures 001.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 1,038
Hi,

is there a "badge" at the end of the top tube displaying "GT"? If no, this frame is only a GT-copy... This is supported by the fact that the steerer tube is rather long and that the rear brake cable enters the top tube on the right hand side. Finally, those two eyelets at the rear drop-out are also uncommon for GT - at least for the better models. Last indicator if genuine is also the weight. If more than 14.5kg then it is probably a fake.

If this is a genuine GT it would probably be a 1990 or 1991 model. No "Groove Tube" (all three cables below the top tube). Judging from the fork and Deore DX setup, it may be a resprayed 1990 Karakoram, possibly with a different stem.

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/GT/1990.pdf

1991 catalogue for comparison here;
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47913

i dont think thats a gt
might be wrong tho
the top tube length after the seat tube is a bit long
and the top tube detail especially looks wrong
ser no is usually always on the b/b shell
would be good to find out what it is tho
if it came from the uk , the only other bike i'd say would be an apollo,from halfords , but it looks a bit better than that

my 20p's worth

mikee":32a3i0vz said:
the only other bike i'd say would be an apollo,from halfords , but it looks a bit better than that

When I read the initial post I was going to suggest the Halfords/Apollo GT style frame, I recall someone having one many years ago, and its was a pink/purple/blue ish colour.

EDIT: Also noticed some text on the seat stay nr the tripple triangle, the text looks familiar too.

It looks like a GT to me. I've got an '88 Timberline and '93 Outpost. Based on the serial # and the cable routing I'd say you've got a high-end '89 model there. Especially if that is a U-brake I spy in the back there. My '88 had a U-brake, but mounted underneath when I got it.

the only surefire way of telling is indeed the GT stamp at the end of the top tube.

However, that triple triangle, though it looks very similar to the GT one, seems to have a lug join on the seat tube immediately below the top tube. GT have always to my knowledge 'pierced' the toptube with the seat tube.

I've never known GT to do internal cable routing.

I've seen one eyelet but not 2, maybe some of the lower end bikes did have them?

Other bikes did have a triple triangle style design, maybe Townsend but this was not a 'pierced top tube design, just a butted joint.

We need more info from OP.

mattrixdesign2":2upmc1z4 said:
mikee":2upmc1z4 said:
the only other bike i'd say would be an apollo,from halfords , but it looks a bit better than that

When I read the initial post I was going to suggest the Halfords/Apollo GT style frame, I recall someone having one many years ago, and its was a pink/purple/blue ish colour.

EDIT: Also noticed some text on the seat stay nr the tripple triangle, the text looks familiar too.

Looking at this thread, this bike could well be a "Apollo", distributed by Halfords. Maybe their premium model with Deore DX?
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... c&start=15

Allegedly, they "licensed" the triple triangle design but I think we will never find out for sure...

@ bloodfire: GT definately did cable rooting. Truely internal just for the rear brake especially in the model year 1991. But as I wrote, the cable entered on the left hand side.

If OP wants to know for sure I can ask the person who used to own a Halfords/Triple Triangle special. The more I look at the text on the seat stay, they more I am sure it is the same bike.

Back