Mc San Andreas fun bike build.

Tensioner was giving enough wrap so bit the bullet and ordered a Paul's Melvyn no bad thing as trick as hell!

ac8e4d87.jpg

Also took the plunge and 'jonsey' modded my cranks. Cut the outer ring tabs and shaped the remaining spider. A few hours of polishing later and they look like this! Also added a hbc 32t ring.

31adcc86.jpg

Some decals arrived so were duly fitted the swing arm stickers will be fitted once I finish the polishing of the arm and the seat tower.

7f3c7961.jpg

Very nice build! Really like the look of that.

You will need a front chain guide though. I presume the chain tensioner is sprung, to make up for the chain stretch when the suspension compresses, yes? SS setups only work without a front guide on either a hardtail or a fully that pivots around the BB, as the chain can be made tight enough that it literally won't come off, as there is no chain stretch etc, so can be made very short. On your bike, the tensioner will move around as the suspension compresses etc and the chain will come off, I guarantee it. It's essentially the same as having a normal geared system in that respect.

Oh, good job on the cranks by the way, looks ace!

The chain doesnt come off now? The chain tensioner spring is much stronger than a mech spring. I can't see how it will come off being under constant tension coupled with the single speed specific chain and chainring which will prevent derailment.

Thats come along quick.

The melvyn and joneseyed cranks will tie it together nicely.

Is the 32t ring going to be enough to get you going ok on whatever terrain you will be riding on it?

Im not familiar with alfine ratios.

Yup the 32 seems good off road gives a nice spread of gearing. Spent yesterday repolishing the swinger and the seat tower so will reassemble and take some snaps. Just fitting an air shock to see what it rides lke

What air shock? Just a temporary one if you do prefer it?

Have you kept to the 18t cog for now?

Whats the overall weight like?

Back