180mm, are you crazy?! Sinister content. 16/4 update.

IWish

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Long story.

You all saw my GT Avalanche, probably.. I made it 120mm travel up front. I was happy with it and then I saw a guy on a Kona Stinky with old JR T, the 150mm ones and thought.. I want more travel! I'd never had 120mm before. Best I got was 95mm on a Pace. So I posted my WTD for a long travel HT and was offered this and I knew I had too have it. So some messing around and alot of help from guys on here. (Espescially Cyfa!) I had it on it's way too me. It arrived quicker than my wheels are and it came from The Netherlands.

I'm ecstatic with it. I gave it it's first little test a hour or so ago and it's brilliant!

The hoses are a little short and I still need a pair of pads. Plus a seatpost and clamp. So I was stood up too ride it. (Only on the road a few corners away)

So as it stands now it's SS because I'm short a few bolts on the mech. Plus I'm kind of riding the edge with the stem as the steerer's only 15mm longer than the top of the crown! I need to buy a direct mount stem, found one that's 28mm that I like.

It rides really well to be honest, the U turn is really usable too tbh, though it makes the front twitchy in 130mm without lockout.

Anyway enough of the boring bit. I used some parts from my GT and I still have things too come. It weighs alot for the missing parts. :roll:

Pics of the frame:

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

Pics of the build so far:

Side on of the bike as it is.
DSCF0708.jpg

My little bit of Retro.
DSCF0710.jpg

RF cranks and ring, (Need a chain guide too)
DSCF0711.jpg

DSCF0712.jpg

That's a 2.4 tyre!!!
DSCF0713.jpg

That FTW welding beauty.
DSCF0714.jpg

Genuine 178mm travel!
DSCF0715.jpg

Front pic too see height!
DSCF0716.jpg

16/4 update.

Got a new stem and pulled apart a broken XC hub and modified it too fit the bulb, so now my rear wheel is rideable without having too buy an axle, bearings and spacers so I'm happy. Got a new 28mm stem on too that feels perfect. Figured out a 1 1/8th too 1" headset shim thing for ahead stems works perfectly too shim my seatpost! So all I need is a clamp and to wire up the gears and I'll be able to ride it properly. Trying it out on a little dirt/gravel today though and it REALLY goes. 2.35 and 2.4 tyres fly with next too no drag.

As it's stood in my garage.
IMAG0054.jpg

A little of the best.
IMAG0055.jpg

Short huh!
IMAG0056.jpg

It's tall, very tall.
IMAG0057.jpg

How tall you ask, this tall.
IMAG0058.jpg

Looks smaller than i thought it would which is good.

178mm travel haha! Not sure why they didnt round that up.

Those welds are stunning.

I think it's just the exact measurement for 7"

Got too put the frame protectors on the forks too.

It's damn high when your on it. It's higher than my motorbike is.

Back