FOX RL 80 question

Fox 100 forks

Yes.
Quite easy. But you'll need to strip the fork down and remove a small spacer.Did it on my 2004 80RL's. Not convinced I actually get 100mm though, but more than 80. Most likely 90 ? Anyway more than 80mm.

Thanks Roberto, Im not getting 70mm at the moment so anything will be an improvement.

I've a race on the 22nd and another on the 29th, after that it gets too hot for racing untill September so they'll be in for moding and servicing then.

I'll let you know how they get on.

Thanks again.

Er, no, actually.
Up to 2004 , I think, you could just remove the spacer to get more travel. The damper unit was the same for all travels. After that, the dampers for different travel forks were also different lengths. Probably more expensive to produce, but at least you had to buy new forks more often!
On later forks you can reduce travel by fitting a spacer, but not increase it.
If you're only getting 70mm, there's something wrong. It's worth stripping them down and investigating. There are some good guides online. They're one of the easier forks to work on.

I think Fox used to say the crown-steerer assembly on F80s was not as strong on F100s too - another reason not to mess with the travel!

SP

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I've had the forks back from the importers for a while now. For the record the travel can't be extended to 100mm but has improved a little and are now really smooth in operation.

Thanks again.

Back