Yet another Roberts D.O.G.S... of a rebuild

Hi

Love these bikes, always wanted one back in the day.

I just did a quick photoshop to help you compare angles, I overlaid one picture over the other and adjusted the dimensions and rotation to compare the angle a bit better.

the pics weren't taken from exactly the same angle so it is distorted to some extent, but looking at it, with a bit of sag, I think the RC36 will be fine.

(mind you I ride a chopper of a quake! ;-) )

Hope this helps?

Attachments

• DBoverlay.jpg
    DBoverlay.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 1,010
DB

Sorry fella but it will handle like a dog with those forks on! Pace are a bit different to lot of other forks, which make the situation even worse.
They have a fair degree of "lead" or castor built into the crown, i.e they achieve the necessary castor, by angling the stanchions and sliders forward by about 4 degrees.
Other makers achieve this by either placing the drop outs well forward of the sliders or casting the crown with a forward bend in it, or like MZ both.
With all these options the steerer angle and slider angles remain the same, not with Pace, so the effect is to make the "virtual" head angle much slacker and the forks rake forward too much.
It's not just tipping the head tube back, like with using over long forks then, the steering will "flip-flop" something terrible and you'll end up losing most of your teeth or worse. (it will understeer on loose surfaces like a pig) Ask Jez or Jerky, they suffered just that.
Most of the UK builders, Yated, CR, Dyna tech etc all suffer from this. So be warned! I would run it rigid with no more than a 40cm atc. It'll kill you otherwise. :cry:

Ask Jez or Jerky, they suffered just that

There is no need I have stated it above not with guess work or photo shop but with two living breathing examples in the garage, I dont often get wound up but this has :LOL:

And the whole "sag" thing is a load of balls too , Great if you only ride over the bars or downhill , Try some technical steep climbing and see how the sag helps the handling then ...Again experience actually riding roberts frames not "think" or "looks alright"

Sounding obnoxious i know but I dont understand why people are feeding advice when its a proven fact? :?

Don't worry guys, I'm not ignoring your advice.

The frame is currently with Chas for repair and respray; when it gets back I will need to buy some hubs and build the wheels, I will also need to acquire many other expensive items. In the meantime, I have plenty of opportunities to get some alternative, rigid and suspension forks, and once the rest of the bike is ready, I will do some experimentation, taking all the advice I have been given into account.

Latest update:

Spoke to the guys at Roberts just now and work is about to start. The top tube needs replacing and I have asked that the new tube match as closely as possible, the characteristics of the old one.

It will have the new style script on the downtube and they are going to choose the best shade of orange from those I have suggested.

They could not give me exact timescales, but it will be at least four weeks, so I have plenty of time to keep acquiring parts, and as the new SRAM 10 speed gripshifts will not be in the shops until the middle of May, I am not really losing any time.

Yet another update: Had a message from Brian over the weekend..... Five Weeks!

So, the frame should be ready to come home around the end of July, so I had better get busy with parts, and building the wheels, and deciding what cranks to fit, and get a stem organised and.........

Giom6":2mkosbyd said:
Do you know what stem you are going to go for?

No, not yet.

I will running an Ahead headset, so it won't be too much of a problem to either find something with the right style, length and rise, or if push comes to shove, have one made.

More of an issue are the cranks, as I want to run a 2 X 10 setup, but have found that Middleburn chain rings have a lot of problems with this set up. So, do I go for a right mix of cranks and rings, or take the easy route and fit White Industries VBC chainset.

Lots to consider.

When are you getting your DB?

Sounds like it.

The VBC looks like a good choice if it does what you need it to do...

Haven't done anything on the DB as yet, apart from collecting the parts.

I should be getting the Genesis back (that I bought from Treacle) soon(ish) from Colour-Tech so I'll concentrate on that one first and get it up and running.

Got some parts for it but I'm still weighing up the options for the stem.

Once that one is out of the way then I'll start the DB. Not going to be anytime soon though :?

Back