Bike rage in New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
merckx":3mfz13be said:
13":3mfz13be said:
Having spent a lot of my mtb life riding DH the etiquette on single track if you come up behind a slower rider is to stop wait a few minutes and then head off again. This clears the track for you and is safer for the rider in front. (these guys are riding dh, on flat or uphill yea let faster riders pass) "tailgating" is dangerous for the rider in front as it puts extra stress on them to go faster. I would think a guy on a long travel trail bike tailgating a guy on an old ridgid had no chance of crashing and what was the big rush?
Think this whole story is a "chicken or the egg" type of thing, no one will have the final say. But hopefully every rider will be respectfull to each other and share the trails, they belong to everyone after all.

X2 13. and in fact you see the professionals ride this way in practice sessions also.....

DH is a little different to XC though. When doing a DH run, if you come up behind someone you can stop, wait a minute and then continue unhindered. Often if you do that while XCing, you'll just find yourself up the same rider's arse a few hundred yards down the trail. Maybe the camera man could have been a bit more chilled, but he was basically following textbook trail etiquette and rockshox dude is clearly a f*cking loon.

And to continue the fun BIG MAN ON THE INTERNET threats: if someone starts hitting me for no reason while I'm trying to enjoy a nice bike ride, I'll kick his teeth in. Also, my dad's harder than your dad!

its interesting to read the camera guys point of view (there is pages of it on reddit) and he states the rock shox guy needed to "chill out and take it easy"

maybe some of that advice he has for others, could be used in his own riding style... :)

When bell-ends collide. I see umpteen opportunities missed where either one of them could have done the sensible thing. But no...

The guy behind says "Do you want me to run you off the trail" before RockShox bloke does anything.

I think if the RockShox bloke had said his bit "don't give me a lecture and now get out of my sight" he would have had the moral high ground. Hitting him and then going back for seconds too was wrong undoubtedly.

Chap with the camera was rude in my opinion. If someone was shouting at me and right up my arse while I was going quite quickly downhill I would not be happy, if he then came and told me I was rude I would be pissed!

Yeah this is bullshit Rock Shox did behave like a total tool

Choice words would have been sufficient if he thought he was being wound up

But the violence? No way and he had two goes! He had a quick scuffle with speedyboy then when he was told it was all on camera, he steams back in for round two!

Not only aggressive and not fit to be on the trail (even allowing for being pumped), but a damned idiot in terms of landing himself right in it!

- Although speedyboy bit Rock Shox' finger... So I'd say any claim of total innocence evaporates right there, so I doubt Rock Shox'll get in much trouble at all

thecannibal":ugpd211u said:
Rob Atkin":ugpd211u said:
I saw this linked on Twitter.....

IF the guy did get a good kicking (and the camera didn't show it, didn't show much at the end really) then no-one deserves it...

However he rode like a total prat all the way dow, baiting the guy in front, saying how good he was, generally hassling him THEN rather than just passing when the guy pulled over just though he'd do a quick loop to MAKE SURE he was behind him again. He looked like he knew the trail quite well so why on earth did he do this if it wasn't to show off how AWESOME he was by trying to get past later on again??

I am surprised the guy in front kept so quiet.....

Then, at the end, the guy stops so the guy behind could easily just walk past him without saying anything but thankyou.... but obviously he's tougher than that...resulting in him learning the hard way (but more likely it was just a scuffle??).

As I said, if he did get a good kicking then he didn't deserve it and the other guy should have held his temper BUT there's no real video of him getting hit (amazing how the camera is covered ALL THE TIME when he is being "attacked").

Did you actually watch the video? There was no baiting, no saying how good he was, no hassling. Rockshox man was behaving weird and aggressive when he first stopped. It also seems highly unlikely that camera man got back behind him on purpose - what makes you think he did? And when rockshox man stops the second time he's immediately aggressive and confrontational. He certainly wasn't stopping to let him 'easily just walk past'.

I've scarcely seen so much wrong in one forum post ever before. Have yourself an imaginary medal!

Errr have YOU watched the video?? They both acted the wrong way but it was the camera guy that started it all. All he had to do is hang back and watch the view for a few minutes (like I do on a regular basis as I don't like trying to get past people, more polite to wait) but no, he had act the tough guy. No wonder the guy in front got stroppy.
Thats no excuse to hit someone (if he did) but the camera guy was one of the least patient, obnoxious riders I've seen. Most of the time when he does this sort of thing he probably gets past, feeling smug about how good he is, but this time it didn't work.

Imaginary medal? Have you been taking courtesy lessons from the video guy? :roll: ;-)

CTK":35adbk09 said:
The guy behind says "Do you want me to run you off the trail" before RockShox bloke does anything.

Taken out of context that sounds like a threat, but his intonation and general manner show that it's more like 'hey, this is a bit silly - just pull over a second so we can get on with enjoying ourselves instead of this frankly dangerous bullshit'. Sure camera guy's behaviour isn't perfect, but whose is?

zigzag":4bwd1xm3 said:
When bell-ends collide. I see umpteen opportunities missed where either one of them could have done the sensible thing. But no...

Exactly! If you are behind and faster, ask to be let past, but if it doesn't happen hang back for a while to get some free space. Situation would never have happened.

there's a good unwritten sometimes written rule the roadies have when in times of conflict.

"keep your hands on the bars at all times"

applied to this situation, it probably would have saved the grief a little..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back