Double or triple chainset musings

Andy B

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I'm currently deciding on which type of chainset to use on my bike

A regular triple 22/32/44t, or a double with something like a 26/39t (no bashguard)

With either I'll be using the same cassette, a 11/32t or 11/34t (can't remember which I have spare)

I have tried a 1x9 set up with a 32t chainring and the same cassette above, but did struggle a bit on some climbs and spin out a bit on some descents, but on 80% of my rides it was pretty good. Nice & simple

With my triple set ups I do like the lowest ratio gears (cos I'm lazy & unfit) when climbing but hardly ever use the highest ratios when descending

Leading me towards the 26/39t double set up, if I MTFU a bit I should be able to climb well enough once I get some fitness back & I shouldn't spin out like I did on a 1x9 set up

Any thoughts on double Vs triple set ups?

Anyone tried a similar set up (double up front) & regretted it?

I went double plus bash last year with an 11-34t cassette & 22/36 up front but found the spread of gears when changing the chain rings too much so reverted to 22/32 up front & love it, mind you I do indulge in a bit of granny ring worship :oops: & it is on a pretty heavy spec Dialled Prince Albert.

I've recently rebuilt my Rocky Mountain as a lighter spec 1 x 9 (11-32 & 32t chainring) bike but haven't been out to try it yet, I suspect I will end up putting something like the set up you are suggesting on it, so would be interested in seeing how you get on, at the moment it is satisfying the weight weeine in me though :LOL:

I'm running a double and bash 32/24T with 11-36 on my 5, tbh am considering dropping the granny and running 1x10 set up as i never use it.

The only thing stopping me is Mountain routes :twisted: so will continue to evaluate

would never dream of going back to a triple now, I spend 99% of time on single track , and the double suits nicely

this is something i am struggling with aswel.

i usually run 22/32/44 with 11-32 on my main xc bike and 11-34 on my st4 (purely coz it's a full suss and sometimes doesn't climb aswel)

that said, my new bike will mainly be for local rides in the flat so while you are thinking more of climbing gears i am thinking of fast trail gears so thinking of losing the granny ring but then i look at the options and what i would like doesn't seem to be available in the brands i want.

was thinking middleburn duo but the sizes are the smaller ones, 29t etc. so i think i'll have to go for the standard cranks with no inner ring but as a get out clause i was thinking the new 11-36 10 speed cassette as this would give me my normal 9 speed cassette range plus the 36 sprocket just incase i need somethi g to replace the granny ring.

it's a tough choice though really, i know i get on with what i am using but i think it's time to try something a little different.

:)

I'm running 2x8, 40/27 front to 11-27 rear , and haven't had any problems yet. I find I do tend to use the big ring 90% of the time, only dropping to the small on climbs.
I won't be going back to 3x8 in a hurry. 2x8 is simpler, with less to think about, and the bonus of no chainsuck!
I use the 11-27 block because it happened to be there, not cos I'm 'ard. When it needs replacement I may well go 32 or 34, which would make life a little easier.

Personally i'd stick with triple but mainly because i'm set in my ways!! Maybe it's just me but I think a triple looks better than a double.

Infact I treated my Marin to an Slx triple chainset only a few weeks ago and i'm really pleased with it. I could swear the bike feels more responsive.

I recently switched from 22-32-42 to 27-42.
I prefer my new set-up but i'd prefer the smaller 39 tooth big ring that is available for my chainset.
Thats with a 11-32 cassette.

double chainrings are a good idea IMO since they remove a lot of duplicated gear ratios byu having larger difference in the driving gear.

the low ratio (small chainring - largest sprocket) to me is more important than high ratio since I frequently use that to get up hills (ok, I usde the next to largest so always have one in reserve) but find I never use the highesdt 2 or 3 ratios so losing the big ring on front would'nt worry me.

Back