Snowdon or bust: Retrobike Raid - Poll added...

Official Retrobike raid on Snowdon viability?

• Interested

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Interested

• Open to persuasion

• Total voters
Think it's pretty conclusive I'm not going to make it now!

Hope you've had a good time there, how was the riding? :D

Snowdon was awesome! Quite a few people but none of the friction I expected, mostly compliments. The surface was very slippery and wet, absolutely zero traction on the rocks i.e. most of the mountain. I ended up carrying the bike pretty much the whole way, but comments like "you've got some serious balls", "hardcore" and "you're mental" kept me going and I was at the top via the Rhyd Ddu route within two hours.

Unfortunately on the way down the bike was, to be honest, totally out of it's depth. The forks (Sid XC's) didn't feel like they were doing much and the brake blocks just melted. I lost the front's within 5 or 10 minutes and the rears were on their last legs by the time I hit the tarmac so I opted to walk down the last bit.

Had a great day though and I reckon I could prepare the bike much better now I know what to expect. Would have gone up again the next day if the bike was in better shape.

Bit embarassing at one bit though, as I reached the summit, quite a few people looking at me, and I got the bike stuck on my head :oops: I was carrying it on my shoulders and the saddle somehow caught on my helmet, meaning I couldn't get it down.

722.jpg

How I got the bike to the top.

737.jpg

Winner

Adding my name to the list.

It would be a huge, mammoth, enormous undertaking (thats just the drive) but who could resist playing in that environment :shock:

I loved the Peaks meet and won't* pass up on the opportunity to try this

Keep me posted and I'll put something up in the Anglia region to drum up some interest.

*All factors allowing :LOL:

andyhilton":1z0qsw5d said:
I've done it a few times before and it's awesome. Particularly the Ranger Path.

A well justified use of the overused adjective 'awesome', it really is :cool:

Latest posts

Back