1990 Gt Karakoram

That's looking great Chris, will you be riding it Sunday?

Maybe I should get my 'new' Karakoram into riding condition by then and bring it along.

I'm trying to get my new Orange Prestige up and running for Sunday, I just got some new gear and brake cables. Trying to get a 1" Headset as the one fitted is shot. A chap on the forum has offered me one which I think i'll be grabbing. I may be able to get it fitted for Sunday, I can't ride off road with the current head set.

kingoffootball":12haols8 said:
That's looking great Chris, will you be riding it Sunday?

Maybe I should get my 'new' Karakoram into riding condition by then and bring it along.

Thanks Will, I may well ride it if the weather stays nice ;)

A few new pics from this mornings ride, its now got Dx front and rear mechs and an Lx M550 chainset and the 400Lx bits are gone.
I think it looks much better with the silver parts now, comments welcome ;)

IMG00474.jpg

IMG00475.jpg

IMG00476.jpg

IMG00477.jpg

IMG00478.jpg

not my fave karakoram colours , but looks well sweet mate

they ride so well too

DX the grouset of choice i reckon

Thanks guys, I took it on its first Retrobike ride yesterday up at Wetherby and got it totally filthy :LOL:

IMG00479.jpg

IMG00521.jpg

Hello! I just got myself one of these 1990 Karakorams and I have a question, as I'm in the cleaning/stripping phase that has the tendency to get on one's nerves: have you had any issues removing cable housing or do you know if the housing for the rear brake goes through the entire top tube?

I wasn't surprised to find out cables and housing are thicker than what I'm used to these days, but unfortunately most of the housing on the bike was rusty so I can't remove the part that goes from the lever to the top tube. I seems stuck inside, so I started pulling and now I am unwinding spirals of housing but it's stuck again. I'm afraid to apply some more force, as I worry not to break the spiraling wire off and to have a stuck piece of housing in the top tube? What to do?

Thanks,
Mx

I had exactly the same problem with my 1991 Karakoram and yes the outer does go all the way through the top tube to its stop at the point where the inner comes out. I ended up with the coiled part of the outer coming out of the frame but a lot of the plastic coating remained inside the frame.
I had to fit a stop on the outside of the top tube so the new outer finished there and managed to thread a new inner through the top tube and now it all works perfectly. If its light when I get home from work I will try and take a pic of what I mean.

Back