Do we need it?

NAILTRAIL96

Senior Retro Guru
Do we really need so many gears?
I understand that single speed is an aquired taste so taking that out, how many gears do you really need to ride your local trails?

perhaps we dont need all of them, but i do tend to need some of the xtremes. ie granny ring and the bottom three or so on the cluster middle ring and just about the whole block, big ring and most of the lower block. so upon reflectionl yes i need them all. where i ride is steep, single speeds are not a sensible choice, especially if you prefer your knees to remain intact and surgery free...

Anymore than one confuses me!

I hear that people are running as many as 18 gears on one bike these days?

The world's gone mad.

al.

on anther site i was told i was a roadie because i ran a 'big' 30 tooth ring :shock:

The world has gone mad :LOL:

Climbing on most of my local trails would involve a low, low ratio for a s.s., not really practical for the flat bits. No need for 24 or more though.

Wide spread cluster and medium chainring would get you 80% of the way there. 1x5 seems possible, with a rear changer that could handle the extreme difference.

Practically though, 2x8 has proved adequate on just about anything, with a bash ring.

So that is about ten gears effectively.

Pressing on, and making the most of the terrain, would benifit from a closer packed cluster, so more to get the extremes. For racing I can see the desirability for more.

My ideal would be a cvt of some kind.

In reality my next radical (for me) change is going to be to try a flip flop s.s. to see how it feels. Going 29 er at the same time.

:)

NuVinci hub available from SJS cyles is a CVT sort of system.
For me 3 gears would work if 1:1, 2:1, 3:1 were possible in whatever system but 1x7 is usually enough for me for most stuff :)

SS is for people who need an excuse not to pedal on downhills because they're scared :p

tintin40":3axzwzwc said:
on anther site i was told i was a roadie because i ran a 'big' 30 tooth ring :shock:

The world has gone mad :LOL:

Not one of your light bikes?!
I was almost spinning out on 42-11 on the Peaks ride on Sunday and they weren't particularly steep/fast downhills.

Generally my middle ring (32) is sufficient with a 30-11 cassette because I walk up most hills. If I can't pedal with 32-30 then 22-30 doesn't seem any easier.

velomaniac":26qcw9jr said:
NuVinci hub available from SJS cyles is a CVT sort of system.
For me 3 gears would work if 1:1, 2:1, 3:1 were possible in whatever system but 1x7 is usually enough for me for most stuff :)

Over the years I have watched these developing technologies with interest.

With Shimano continuing to challenge the smaller innovators I reckon the time is ripe for a lightweight CVT solution to appear at a reasonable price point.

I like the idea of packing it all in the BB, keeping the rear hub light and simple, ideally with enclosed belt drive and internal braking.

Keeping everything internal should allow for maintenance free operation on the whole.

Rampage":rpyo320d said:
Not one of your light bikes?!
I was almost spinning out on 42-11 on the Peaks ride on Sunday and they weren't particularly steep/fast downhills.

Generally my middle ring (32) is sufficient with a 30-11 cassette because I walk up most hills. If I can't pedal with 32-30 then 22-30 doesn't seem any easier.

yes :LOL: for off road 30 & 44 are excellent for me. With a 11-28 at the back.

Latest posts

Back