i think im about to be robbed in slow motion.

Wow!! thanks you guys.I really didnt thinkthat there was
such a massive gap between prices for something as simple as spokes, well,i say simple,im sure that theres a fair bit of skill goes in to making them!
I just have to say also,this is why i joined this forum,
where else could i get this sort of info and advice.???? :D

Student Bob":ouz6vpzt said:
Having just build up a set of wheels meself, I bought my spokes from www.rosebikes.co.uk

About 45p a spoke for the top of the range DT Revolutions and 30p per spoke for DT Comps.

Absolute bargain at half the price of any shop in the UK!!! Sure, they're based in Germany, but the postage was only a fiver, they turned up fast and they threw in a free gym bag thingy.

Would there be any saving in lacing up the wheels yerself and just asking the shop to tension and true them??
Well, got the hubs back and have just ordered the spokes and nipples(was tempted by red alloy to match the hubs but I can here them pinging out of tension from the shelf!)
Now, does anybody know of a good wheelbuilder in or around bucks,herts,beds,northants(last set of wheels I got from scratch were by a chap called poyzer,but that was 1991!!! :D

Just thought I'd post an update (for what it's worth.)
Ordered the spokes and nipples from rosebikes in Germany, took them to my lbs (Phil Corley cycles) mechanic said that they would be booked in for the next Wednesday. Wednesday comes,phone rings "the spokes are too long" :x
(thank you,online spoke calculator) collect parts from shop, Saturday comes, phone Germany, they couldn't have been more helpful "don't worry about returning them sir, the spokes should be with you in a few days"
So back to the shop with the correct spokes and other gubbins, again, "be ready Wednesday" Wednesday comes,phone rings "wheels are ready :p "back to shop on the Saturday to collect them, I have to say I am VERY impressed with them,infact,I don't want to put on my current bike so am saving them for one of my 'manyframes' (specialized enduro '02-04 linkage anyone) ;)

Back