The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Kestonian":3gq4vd3j said:
Both my Cambridge Audio A300 amps have given up the ghost

One only gets sound from one speaker, the other amp is really, really quiet - barely audible at max volume

Are they worth repairing or is there anything similar in the LGF cave?

You could try getting them looked at locally, some repairs are very inexpensive. I have that big Technics left but thats it at the mo.

Thanks, chaps

I have found a couple of places that will take them but with postage or travel factored in I might be able to get one second hand from ebay.

That reminds me .... Must update my location. I moved back to London!

Its just a question of economics - I got a £1000 power amplifier fixed for £65 all in whereas if your amps cost £50 -£70 each, its cheaper to find something else instead.

Kestonian":2l6wq80q said:
Precisement.

Apache are you able to fix such things?

Almost certainly, but it might not be cheap. No way of saying without seeing really, and given we are possibly going to be in the middle of a house move soon, it may not be a good time.

Will be nice to get some stability sorted and a new workshop sorted out!

:D

£46 later I have an A5 amp delivered from ebay and it's so good to have proper speakers again. I suspect the Sonos will get connected to this at some point.

There are a few people repairing old amps but as LGF sagely says above, these lower end ones don't seem to economically viable. One of the guys I contacted about repairing was very open about the costs involved but was too busy to take on the work so there is scope for more people to do the same if you are so skilled.

Back to "testing" with long forgotten CDs .....

apache":26wr9e37 said:
They were just becoming Arcam in 1984 - 1985 when I worked there with the first Arcam Alpha amps in the horrible molded plastic cases... Still it brought A&R to the masses. Really wish I'd bought the C200 / SA200 combo when I worked there as I got 40% discount. I remember them being massively complex though, particularly the pre-amp.

22[1].jpg

Almost tempted to offer my Arcam 9 for that A60 + cash... :)[/img]

Get your paypal ready...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-R-Cambridge ... 500wt_1287

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back