The Hell of Horcum Aftermath

kaya

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Thanks to every one who came along to ride the Great Lakes and Rivers of the North Yorkshire Moors ;)

The first flowing singletrack
Picture034-1.jpg

Ps

Well done

Great ride, cheers Vern and everyone else who came along, plenty of mud and streams to deal with, I even had a nice mud bath :D the bike will need a dam good rebuild, the grit has destroyed my brake pads but it was worth it, really enjoyed the ride, see you all in 2 weeks time for the three tribes.

Was wondering how this went, weather was not the best down here, figured it was worse up there.
Couldn't make it unfortunately as just got back from Wales

Holy f*****g ****! :shock:

must have been quite a ride! didn't realise there would be so much snow knocking about :shock:

Tough folk in't north though ;)

This is why I like this site, it brings together a disproportionate number of riders, throws them into a collective and points them into a set of conditions that given realism we would have given up before we started.

Within 100m of starting we are walking, trees down, snow drifts and a mechanical. Does this worry us, NO, we have another 20mls to do.

There is wet and there is Yorkshire Wet, the sort that makes downhills seem like uphills, the riding down water that feels like you are on Filey beach at high tide.

The ride that puts a a perfect bike wash in at half distance, just before the clayiest section. It puts at downhill section that a Vern, Gil, SLM can ride and mortals walk down.

It throws a walk in 1ml before the end that has you gasping for breath.

It finishes with buns and the sort of camaraderie you cannot buy.

A perfect day out.

didnt think that last hill was that bad;;lol
good day out seen the moors ;challenging is the word it was
challenging .
feel a lot fitter for the ride good crack as well thanks all
cost me a pair of white socks :D
cheers all

Just a normal springtime ride on the N.Yorks moors, really enjoyed it ( though I do have a tiny hankering for a dry/sunny ride). One downhill section in particular down from the large cairn to the bike wash at the bottom did indeed feel like an uphill at times, a stark contrast to riding it in the comparative dry last year. Thanks all a good day out, looking forward to the next one.
Cheers Darren.

:LOL: just having a giggle at the above.

myself, slmracing and loads of indigestion tablets set off upto pickering with mere drizzle and a cool breeze. about level with dalby forrest saw a dense mist and patches of snow dotted around the hills, no problem, let's get on with it!

the snow was a minimal problem but, melt-water kicked our butts :) in some cases pedalling down steam was a better and more fun option. a muddy bike was washed clean again hundreds of times over :) and repeat.

i had good fun and exercise all the same, so thanks to everybody especially kaya and gil for leading.

((voice of camera)) "i pity the fools" :LOL:

PICT0037-1.jpg

early ride was still murky but ridable. some potential 'reduced visibility' potm shots!

PICT0038-1.jpg

PICT0039.jpg

PICT0042.jpg

PICT0041.jpg

standing water.

PICT0044-1.jpg

running water.

PICT0046-1.jpg

running scared :)

PICT0048.jpg

over the train tracks for a pleasant climb ;)

PICT0049-1.jpg

discoverybmws' clean, but not for long proflex 856.

PICT0050-1.jpg

you havin this jimo746 :cool:

PICT0053-1.jpg

the authors bike.

PICT0052-1.jpg

PICT0055.jpg

king of the hills.

PICT0051.jpg

we got there!

PICT0059-1.jpg

PICT0066.jpg

can't beat a raleigh.

PICT0063.jpg

PICT0064.jpg

time to head for food.

PICT0067.jpg

PICT0069-1.jpg

PICT0072-1.jpg

PICT0074-1.jpg

we all know what follows a stop at levisham station :eek:

PICT0076-1.jpg

;)

"here's the plan. drop down here, across there, massive climb.....

erm......

PICT0078-1.jpg

nah, let's just sit here for a bit :D

PICT0075-1.jpg

great to see you all and kudos to kenaltobelli for the effort.

cheers.

Excellent day out, having to pedal to keep up momentum on a lot of the downhills proved interesting, never been as tired going downill as the bottom of the single/notrack from the back of Menwith to Ellerbeck, will try to get my couple of pics up later and a big thanks to all who were there especially Vern n Gill for showing us the way.
Bit of advice , don't spend the previous 2 days riding and carrying through snowdrifts and then go on one of Verns rides on the third day.
Matthew

Back