TRICKS, VERTS & DOWNHILLS that are plausible, ADD YOURS

Nice pics gtRTSdh

I'd look further down the trail than you are doing in the pics, in the last 3 pics it seems like you're looking at the outer edge of the left hand turn & as you approach the turn you continue to look at it until you are at the turn in point

You should be looking at something like the trail near the bike in the bottom of the pic, the further ahead you look the more time you have to react to the trail

OK I'm sat here in a chair & haven't ridden that trail, but I suspect that you were looking at the rooty drop right before the corner in the last few pics, which is why you are over to the left side of the trail when the right should give a better line into the corner

I'm not having a go by the way, just noticed it in the pics, it stood out to me like a sore thumb

The 'Jump of Doom' at last years Mountain Mayhem was a big as I go. Strictly wheels on ground at all times.

Steep!

Yes that does look STEEP ➡️ , and strewn with forest debris, lovely!

Bet a few people have locked up and fallen off, or gone over the bars, and head butted some trees on the way down, and of course somebody will have bound to have taken a massive run up before the top, and somersaulted their way down, hitting most things!

Andy B":1du0xdyk said:
Nice pics gtRTSdh

I'd look further down the trail than you are doing in the pics, in the last 3 pics it seems like you're looking at the outer edge of the left hand turn & as you approach the turn you continue to look at it until you are at the turn in point

You should be looking at something like the trail near the bike in the bottom of the pic, the further ahead you look the more time you have to react to the trail

OK I'm sat here in a chair & haven't ridden that trail, but I suspect that you were looking at the rooty drop right before the corner in the last few pics, which is why you are over to the left side of the trail when the right should give a better line into the corner

I'm not having a go by the way, just noticed it in the pics, it stood out to me like a sore thumb

Thanks, we used the burst setting on my camera, 10 shots over 5s.

You could quite possibly be right, I haven't ridden much off road for some time so am a bit out of practice. I am a little to the left correcting oversteer if you notice the bar position in p8, p10 shows me turning avoiding the roots!

Are you local enough to have a go? edit see you're in Lincolnshire 5hrs!

I made it down without falling, which considering a) most won't even try riding down & b) most that have tried, including me have fallen / bailed / just not been able to stick to the path.

If there was a picture from the sie, over the root in pic three the bike is at least 45deg down, put simply, it's so steep that stopping without skewing the bike sideways is not possible! Runaway train comes to mind, you're largely a passenger with limited input heading down there!

See here, for my buddy doing the same and the S bend, the last two pics in the thread give a better idea of the steepness.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Re: Steep!

srands":14whrgaw said:
Yes that does look STEEP ➡️ , and strewn with forest debris, lovely!

Bet a few people have locked up and fallen off, or gone over the bars, and head butted some trees on the way down, and of course somebody will have bound to have taken a massive run up before the top, and somersaulted their way down, hitting most things!

You would have to be out of your mind to take a run-up, it's barely doable at walking pace! No nasty falls that I know of, noones tries it at any speed. Although many years ago going down in a train of riders the guy in front lost it, I couldn't stop (knowone can/could) and had no choice but to divert off path and head straight down the coombe and ended up at the bottom in the muddy bog.

It would be a little unwise to suggest there are not a lot of very skilled riders on here, as well as some who are returning to the sport and who have no intention of putting themselves in hospital to make a point.

If you are doing any kind of downhill you should at least wear a hat.

No, not a tinfoil hat.

I always appreciate your posts Srands, at least you are not out looting or something.

It is nice to see the gentler side of MTBing being enjoyed as well oas the more radical stuff. I don't see the problem with either.

It was always more about going from A to Z and enjoying B to Y for me.

Unless you make it one, life is not a competition.

Steph you got a vid of you going down the bigger slope to the left of you in the video. The tops are a bit tame now, but the bottom is worse.
Wouldn't do the longer one myself any more, the old bike had enough of it BiTD. It's all ripped up, the track that is

I took a few of the others retroriders around that.

You can ride motocross in there with the Farmers permission, the furthest quarry of the three, taken by the police, probably has the fines, that and a shot in your head ;)

--
That twisty technical woody downhill looks fun, and I know exactly how Andy would end up going down that ;) He'd be planted upside down in the tree, after laughing at me in the tree he just passed.

Back