Saracen Tuffraxx 1996 - Build thread

jujupunk

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I got this frame a couple of years ago and used it as a tourer but now i want to convert it to a MTB for the local trails.. Also for the experience of the build.

Not sure what the frame is, can any one help with age and model???

I completely stripped the frame except the BB as it still feels good.

Attachments

• frame1.jpg
    frame1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,484
  • rear tube.jpg
    rear tube.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,484
  • rear hanger.jpg
    rear hanger.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,484
I wanted to add suspension to replace the rigid forks so got a cheap pair of Rock Shox Jett off here (Thanks ollyb83).

I think the frame is suited to 80mm travel not 100mm...

Attachments

• saracen fork.jpg
    saracen fork.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,479
  • saracen stem.jpg
    saracen stem.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,479
Tough one to identify this as their are a few anomalies.

Firstly the pierced top tube design was a feature on many of Saracen's bikes between 1990 and 1996. The seat clamp is consistent with lower end frames such as the 1994 Eiger and Andes and the 1995 TerraTrax and PowerTrax bikes.
All of those however had a metal pipe guide brazed on for the rear brake cable.
The one you have has a cable stop attached to the non drive side seat stay. This was a feature seen on some of the 96 and 97 bikes.
The picture is unclear, but the carbon effect chainstay protector looks like those found on 1998 bikes.
The dropouts are unlike any I've seen on any Saracen frames.

So as you can see it's a bit of an assortment. I suspect that it was a non catalogue 'Special or Limited Edition' bike originally built up using leftover parts and sold through their dealers.

It'd interesting to hear what sort of weight it comes in at.

Oh and I don't think it's a Kili of any variation.

drystonepaul - Thanks for the wealth of info... i didn't realise it would be so hard to point down the model of this bike. Not sure what the weight is I don't have any scale here. Not sure what to call this then, but it doesn't matter so much I really like the frame I've had some good rides with it and really want to build a MTB before I go and build a nicer one

We_are_Stevo - Thanks dude

I think this will be called SaraFranken bike then

dendy":2vph8x45 said:
Thats a 97 terratrax. Slightly different dropouts to the one in the catalogue and with the cable stop. I had a black frame from bankrupt exactly the same as this and they are decent.

Also...
97 terratrax

Closer pics of frame

Another listed as a 97

Those are all pictures of the same bike, originally identified as a 96/97 Terratrax.
I'm still not sure it is though. The pierced top tube/seat-tube cluster is completely different from the Terratrax frames in both the 1996 and 1997 catalogues.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 6.pdf.html
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 7.pdf.html

Probably not helping much am I...?

drystonepaul":22d15svb said:
dendy":22d15svb said:
Thats a 97 terratrax. Slightly different dropouts to the one in the catalogue and with the cable stop. I had a black frame from bankrupt exactly the same as this and they are decent.

Also...
97 terratrax

Closer pics of frame

Another listed as a 97

Those are all pictures of the same bike, originally identified as a 96/97 Terratrax.
I'm still not sure it is though. The pierced top tube/seat-tube cluster is completely different from the Terratrax frames in both the 1996 and 1997 catalogues.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 6.pdf.html
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 7.pdf.html

Probably not helping much am I...?

:LOL: :LOL:I had 2 frames at the time and one was considerably heavier than this one. One was a cheapo with heavy steel back end and this one was considerably lighter. I see what you mean and think it is probably impossible to determine the exact model. All i can say is that it is a terratrax/ tufftrax colour with bits on it that suggest a 97. However, the pierced top tube doesn't suggest this.

Thanks for all the help... now i'll get on with the build. It's not going to be period correct, i'm just going to use what I have available.

I going to use a mix mash of LX parts. I have both V brakes or cant's available, LX cranks, LX rear mech, LX brake levers for V brakes.

I need LX front mech and LX shifters, any body help with any of that???

:LOL:

Back