88 Saracen Tufftrax

I have slightly too many 88 bikes now I think!

Just finishing off the Trekker XT today, need some grips but thats all to finish it. I had the decals made for that one so it should be easy to get some redone in pinky red kind of colour.

This is going spare if anyone fancies a challenge!!

89, trekker comp, should really be a front U brake as well but I dont have the forks for it.

Seat post is stuck and needs a respray IMHO. 20 inch c2c.

If I put it on e bay then it will be seperate from the U brake, as I think the U brake will sell easier than the frame!

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 576
Right, I found some brakes in the shed that will be fine for it, they are M454 which is a slightly later exage but they look the part and are quite solid, I guess they are cast aluminium? I did think my original ones were plasticy rubbish and was hoping to avoid that, but these ones will be fine.

Also this arrived today.. M450 perfect, the exact right one (I think) in great condition.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 539
Pretty much all done, brakes sorted, cranks/chainrings sorted.

Ideally I would like an original saddle but the one it has is in good condition and will do for now.

Some artistic licence with the brake levers, I have used XT 2 finger ones as I had them spare, ideally would have been 4 finger exage and probably plastic so its a good up grade!

My only issue now is wheels. The ones on it are my spare, not sure what else to do with them, wheels! The ones I put on a bike while I'm waiting to get proper wheels bought or made. So, here they look ok, rims are about right, but they are just not right!! (Acera fat hubs)

I have some spare dark grey anodised rims on XT hubs that came off an 88 saracen trekker (my trekker XT) so I think they are going to go on it. XT hubs is a bit posh for this but I think it will be ok. Opinions welcome!

There are some NOS exage hubs on ebay for £17 the pair, bargain, but I dont really want to fork out for more wheel building for this bike just at the moment.

Attachments

• e.jpg
    e.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 472
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 472
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 472
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 472
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 472
So here with black (dark grey) rims, doesnt look much different, still not quite right but at least these are period correct, and from a saracen in the same range, so maybe saracen had one of those friday afternoons after the pub and put whatever they felt like onto a bunch of bikes!!

Attachments

• f.jpg
    f.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 458
Back