1984 Raleigh Road Ace

shawnb":3cxp3ych said:
I picked this up a few days ago, a guy had it for 15 years but hardly used it, he bought it off a mates Dad who bought it from new and appeared to use it rarely as well as can be seen from the gp'4's braking surface. It's full of the rare ax bits that go missing, the bottle and cage, the cable clip, the clear plastic headset cover and the shimano bar end plugs. It's missing blue bar tape - sorted, correct lever hoods - hopefully sorted and the iscaselle tornado saddle - also sorted.
It's a lovely bike to ride, really light and snappy, definately a keeper :cool:

raleighroadace003.jpg

raleighroadace015.jpg

raleighroadace004.jpg

raleighroadace005.jpg

raleighroadace006.jpg

raleighroadace007.jpg

raleighroadace008.jpg

raleighroadace009.jpg

raleighroadace010.jpg

raleighroadace011.jpg

raleighroadace012.jpg

raleighroadace013.jpg

raleighroadace014.jpg

raleighroadace016.jpg

Very nice early Road Ace, with the shot-in seat stays and top mounted gear levers; and of course the early Shimano 600 group.

Gipiemme dropouts?

Interesting routing of the rear mech cable - don't think I've seen that before.

These Lightweight Unit Raleighs are very good and well underrated bikes.

See my 1984 Corsa on this thread.

Rk.

roadking":oszu9jze said:
Gipiemme dropouts?

Rk.

Yes they have Gipiemme dropouts, lack of rear mech cable guide and top mounted gear changer are all the give aways. The rear mech cable guide is part of the mech.

There has been questions about the gear change and braking ability, i've found both wotk well on mine. The block to rim clearance needs to be such that you can remove wheel without messing with the brakes.

@Shawn £350 bargain! well done again, if you want to sell? Also i have some AX brake cable - not for sale :)

Roadking, seen your thread before for your bike, what a lovely model. I do have a thing for these Raleighs of this era, they really had some kudos back then.

paininthe":13ae6rdw said:
roadking":13ae6rdw said:
Gipiemme dropouts?

Rk.

Yes they have Gipiemme dropouts, lack of rear mech cable guide and top mounted gear changer are all the give aways. The rear mech cable guide is part of the mech.

There has been questions about the gear change and braking ability, i've found both wotk well on mine. The block to rim clearance needs to be such that you can remove wheel without messing with the brakes.

@Shawn £350 bargain! well done again, if you want to sell? Also i have some AX brake cable - not for sale :)

Yep when I think of what just the delta brakes cost me on my colnago compared to this bike it makes me shudder!!
I've just blasted along Brighton seafront again on it, everytime I ride it I love it more. The colnago's will be sold before this if I ever had to ;)

A visit from the postie today meant the last few non original items could be changed. A nos isca tornado saddle came from Italy, new blue bar tape and white/grey lever hoods mean it's now as it rolled out of the factory in 1984 (as good as!)

roadace001.jpg

roadace003.jpg

ral84_03.jpg

That's it, all exactly as I want it :D

Just waiting on the nos team replica 12 to turn up from Germany now :D :D

shawnb":3yp9xk4p said:
A visit from the postie today meant the last few non original items could be changed. A nos isca tornado saddle came from Italy, new blue bar tape and white/grey lever hoods mean it's now as it rolled out of the factory in 1984 (as good as!)

roadace001.jpg

roadace003.jpg

ral84_03.jpg

That's it, all exactly as I want it :D

Just waiting on the nos team replica 12 to turn up from Germany now :D :D

Looks great, well done.

You've caught the Raleigh bug - the good one's are still well underrated.

We'll go for a spin when I'm next on the Sussex coast!

My Corsa or SBDU and oen of yours.

Rk.

Back