My obsession with cranksets

jojopunx":2lbcchql said:
They look very nice especially kooka as new

Cheers only got them on Sunday still sitting on my desk dont seem able to bubble wrap them and put them away just want to look at them :oops:

Nice to see the Onza Ti Dave. I never saw these in the metal, and even wondered if they were just marketing/ tradeshow hype.
Any chance of a few more pics. They really do seem to be rough forged, with the smallest amount of machining. Very cool.

elite504":5yln878q said:
Nice to see the Onza Ti Dave. I never saw these in the metal, and even wondered if they were just marketing/ tradeshow hype.

+1 I always assumed that these never made it past prototype stage....

Seeking crank fetishist's identification please! These came on my 1996 Marin Team Titanium, bought second hand in '99. The previous owner thought they were Middleburns but I'm pretty sure they're not. They don't look like Cook Bros or CQP, the nearest I could find...

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

But the reason for my distress:
IMG_1580.jpg

...yes, the left-hand crank has cracked. I very much doubt much can be done to help it, but as they're beautiful cranks I'd like to find out if it's repairable, or to find a replacement!

I'd appreciate any information you knowledgeable bunch can offer. :)

Fab - thanks Mr. Gibson! So I'm guessing that a lone LH 175mm crank will be quite hard to come by... :(

Off to post something in the classifieds ntl...

AmberGambler":ji9uokdl said:
David Gibson":ji9uokdl said:
AmberGambler":ji9uokdl said:
is the morati cranks the only ones out of titanium or are there other ones that you guys know about?

There are several but here are some pictures of the onza crank and Propeller.

thanks for the reply david. Hopefully now I can indulge some more in my titanium fetish :)
i really cant imagine the onza ones crack as easy as the morati... but the other ones hmmm....
Well, Onza Ti cranks are not forged. They were cast. Only the prototypes were machined from a billet (Greg Herbold should own one of them). Unfortunately, they got lots of micro cranks when the the casting mold was removed. Micro cracks are no good. Some failed on the first ride. This is why they were never produced for the masses. Even Moratis should be more durable.
Another picture of Onza cranks is in my gallery.

Back