Mc San Andreas fun bike build.

Got it rideable tonight. Only went for a blast round the block but she feels lively. Light enough to throw around. The alfine seems to have a nice spread of gearing. Got hold of an xtr crank that I'll do the jonesey mod on once the 102bcd ss specific ring arrives. Due to the suspension I can't get enough tension pushing the chain up so I've had to push it down. Not much wrap on the rear cog but doesn't slip. For now I'll dial it in and see what improvement can be made.

db1fa22a.jpg

5239ac87.jpg

de3a99c9.jpg

cf4e612b.jpg

No me neither and they seem to be gaining polularity. I wanted to try something cheaper before splashing out on a rohloff at some point. Initial thoughts are good little things like being able to select the gear you want to start in from a standstill is really nice.

I like how this is going. Not your average bike.

My dad has an alfine hub on his commuter and he has nothing but praise for it.

They are becoming more common on things they havent even been considered on before.

Im quite tempted my self, seeing them around a lot. It makes sense to no end.

Will they stand up to abuse though?

The rest looks like a good spec too.

Folk I spoke to that run these on bikes that are used off road haven't had a single problem so I'm fairly confident. Time will tell on that one.

I know they are popular with the fatbike guys and get used in serious conditions without problems despite no servicing, a good sign, despite a penalty on weight, that doesn't bother the type these IGHs are used by.

As i told i run one on a 96 Kona frame and with 700c wheels. I do find that the spacing between the gears are quite high. I wold. Consider that a downside if running then for mtb use.... But other than that - and the weight - they run perfectly...

Lookin good!
How is it on rough conditions? any probs with the chain line stretching & will you run a chain device on the front?
always been keen to try an internal geared hub, I think one on a full suspended would be cool but thought you would need low pivot or a pivot that rotates around the bb.
You prob dont even notice the extra weight in the hub on a bike like the san an.

Back