1986 Dan Shotton frame

+1. You've obviously looked after it, as well as using it well! It looks great as is. I'd love to see it built up...

Dan Shotton was a student at the College of Art and Design in Bristol, and learned his frame building skills working for Argos frame builders . I knew him as a fellow member of Bristol Road Club in the early 80s. He made only a small number of frames, all high quality, and so far as I know, all with "DS" at the top of the stays and with "Dan ..." frame numbers. I have a 1982 DS frame which looks as if it might be identical to yours, recently resprayed by Argos, who did a fabulous job, including re-creating the intertwined "DS" head transfer. Your frame sounds very much like one of his.

I recall he was keen on cantilever brakes.

I had thought Argos didn't apply their own transfers to other makers' frames, but recently saw what looked like a fairly basic mass-produced 1980s frame with an Argos respray - certainly not the sort of frame Argos makes. I would guess yours is a Dan Shotton frame with an Argos paint job.

Dan Shotton frame

I love my Dan Shotton, made in 1980 - and still going strong. I found the frame on ebay for £80, from a lovely man in Bath. It's in metalic graphite grey and fixed gear, fitted out with Camp 3 arm crankset. A pleasure to ride.

Attachments

• Dan_Shotten.jpg
    Dan_Shotten.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 302
Back