88 Saracen Tufftrax

It seems to be different from the catalogue one anyway so I will build it from memory of what my original one was BITD, so pretty much all exage with biopace chainrings (not ovaltech as seems to be in the catalogue).

It already has deore shifters so I will keep them, I tend to build bikes as they would be if I had owned them for 20years, so its ok to have some upgrades along the way.

I have some period correct parts ready for it though, should be good one this!

Just thinking about the catalogues though, would it be right to think that each one came out at the end of the year before, so that they were out for christmas?

In which case the 87 catalogue would have been sept/oct 86 and ran from 12 months from then. But towards the end of those 12 months there would be changes that would then appear in the following catalogue.

So this bike above has the new cable guides that are then the same as the 88 trekkers that I have. I reckon I bought mine after easter in 87 (I worked throughout the easter school break to earn the money) and it was the latest best thing in the bike shop at the right price, and april is quite a long way through the year if the catalogue came out in sept/oct ish.

Hi Rupe,

Good score there matey, I still think its an 88 ;) my brother had the same one but in a 24" version, exage trail and specialized crossroad tyres :cool:

Can't wait to see this one done

Cheers

GM :cool:

I have these spare to go on it, will need new wheels aswell (I am nicking the rear hub for something else and the front is not good enough)

Attachments

• d.jpg
    d.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 1,291
WHile driving to collect it this morning I was thinking about what I did on my first one.

Then I remembered that we took it to france on a group canoe trip, we had a minibus and would leave that at the end of each section we were paddling, then the driver would have to pedal my bike back to the start wnd then the bike went in one of the canadian canoes.

So, I have just dug out a photo album of that trip and in the front it says in big letters "france '88"

That was summer holidays and I reckon I bought the bike after easter holidays the same year so 88 it is!

Good bit of detective work there rupe. I did suspect it could've been an 88 model, but with no catalogue evidence I could only speculate.
Looks like between you and Gravy Monster, most of the 88 range is pretty much covered anyway!

You just have to get those decals remade though.

Back