1993 Rocky Mountain Hammer (Final Pics added, pg 4)

Thunderchief

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all, I've decided to restore my Hammer back to the specification that I had it in during my couple of years racing. I will be using as many original parts as I still have left, that still work! ;-) Or acquiring replacements that were around in the 1993-1996 period.

This is a nostalgia build for me as it is the bike I did most of my early serious MTBing on. I wont be putting anything too flash on it, and I hope to spend as little as possible.

I'm thinking of respraying it in the original colours, not in powdercoat unless there is a cheap way of doing this, but normal paint with as close a match as possible. However I am unsure weather I will be able to purchase replacement stickers, I don't want to loose those. does anyone know any options for me?

Hear are some pics as she stands now:

Simon.

Attachments

• _MG_5257.jpg
    _MG_5257.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 3,407
  • _MG_5259.jpg
    _MG_5259.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 3,406
  • _MG_5261.jpg
    _MG_5261.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 3,403
  • _MG_5262.jpg
    _MG_5262.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 3,404
Great stuff
I will watch with interest
Gil_m on here for replacement stickers
Powder coat is cheap at £30-40
Looks like a nice patina though so does it need repainting ?

and another one joins the pack.

Give it a scrub up, plain black powder coat and stripping shouldn't be too expensive.
Are the frame decals layered under lacquer on these or just placed on top?
Either way they can be reproduced.

Powdercoat it, it's how it was originally done that year. The only bad part is the front mech, bit of touch up paint ? or are other areas bad. I'd personally ride as it with a bit of a clean.
Is it black or is is black with a slight tint to it ? (described as blackberry in the catalogue)

So what parts are you looking for ?

Did you race with the high front stem and bar setup or with the lower flatter setup ?

Are you still in Lincolnshire (looking at the shop decal ?)

FluffyChicken":3kasnfra said:
Is it black or is is black with a slight tint to it ? (described as blackberry in the catalogue)
My 93 Equipe is described as Rich Olive in the catalogue, but look at it now and you'd be hard pressed to tell it apart from black. Maybe there was something about the paint they used that year that makes all dark colours degrade towards black as they age. Mind you, it was already almost black when I bought it in c2000.

Hi Guys, Thanks for your interest.

I shall PM Gil_m about the stickers, thanks. It is going a bit rusty, as I would like to keep using it I think a paint job is best. Plus I would quite like to see it all spangly again. :)

It was powder coated, however I have the ability to spray it myself, so It depends on how much paint will cost compared to powder coating. Anyone have any recommendations for good powder coaters? I'm in lincoln so somewhere local would be nice. I was never a huge fan of powdercoat always looked dull, and scratched really easily though.

The Colour is a very dark metailic purple, hopefully you can see it in the pics below. I don't think it has changed colour over the years, it was always this dark.

I had low bars on it when I raced and they will be going back on it, I never throw anything away! ;-) pic below. an Ibeam stem and the original Rocky bars.

Not sure what parts I want just yet, in two minds about putting DX thumbies back on or keeping the Gripshifts. The Grip shifts need replacement grips though, so unless I can find something suitable I may go with the thumbies.

Right Back to crank polishing! ;-)

Simon.

Attachments

• _MG_5286.jpg
    _MG_5286.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 3,309
  • _MG_5283.jpg
    _MG_5283.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 3,310
  • _MG_5273.jpg
    _MG_5273.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 3,311
  • _MG_5267.jpg
    _MG_5267.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 3,312
You're not seriously intending to repaint that are you? :shock: Black(ish) is so easy to repair and make tidy, and 99% of what you've got looks fine. And original is always best. Fingers crossed here that Gil hasn't got the decals on file!

What's the history then ? Did you buy it new ,from Lincoln ? Or Shockwave in Nottm ?
Any pics of the two of you in action back in the day ,and where did you race ?

Not many questions then :LOL:

Hi again, I haven't fully made up my mind on the respray yet, but I'm leaning towards having it done. I doesn't really show in the pics but the paint is quite poor. we shall see. :)

I bought it new, or rather my folks bought it for me when my Carerra Waikoloa was stolen. (I'd just fitted Tange Switchblades as well the buggers!) A mixture of a 17th birthday gift and a leaving collage/going to work/not buying you anything expensive ever again! kinda thing. ;-) It was bought from Crag Rat Cycles in Lincoln.

There is a pic of me somewhere, I know I have a copy at work, but I can't find it here. Take while racing the downhill at one of the 1995 Nemba races. It was printed in a 1996 Race guide by MBUK, my only claim to fame! ;-) I'll dig it out when I can.

Ok not too much achieved today just a bit of polishing, a few pics below:

Simon.

Attachments

• 2012-04-06 16.23.27.jpg
    2012-04-06 16.23.27.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 3,274
  • 2012-04-06 15.24.54.jpg
    2012-04-06 15.24.54.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 3,275
Weirdly, that paint job and decal kit colour appears to be the same as my older Vertex frame, yet the period brochure only shows the Vertex in blue. There is blue under the black / purple, so maybe RM did factory resprays and matching sticker kits BITD?

Back