Yates Diabolo Build

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So, two bikes on the go at the same time, and both frames made by British masters of their craft.

While my DB is away with its maker, I have time to buy and build a bike to bash the roads and fire brakes with. As good luck would have it, Stu happened to have a suitable frame for sale, and under instructions from Sinnerman, the deal was done.

Frame:

DSC_0007.jpg

As good fortune would have it, Plus One was selling some Project2 forks and so the plan starts to come together.

Frame and Forks:

DSC_0017.jpg

Plan at this stage is to spray the forks gloss black and then everything else will be silver.

I have X-Lite stubbies in silver and blue, I have a pair of Ritchey handlebars, wheels will be DX hubs and 217 (I think) rims. I think I have XT F&R mechs that'll fit, but I have to slap in a BB and acquire some 175 cranks, probably LX or similar for now, with a view to replacing them with Middleburn later. Grip shift twisters LX or Avid levers. Some sort of silver seatpost in 27.2 (hint hint) and I'll try the Charge Spoon saddle out.

That's the plan, and the idea is to get it roadworthy ASAP.

More photo's as we progress.

I had one of these BiTD, Silver and Grey with RC 30's, Loved that bike. Will be nice to see what this come out like, have a feeling it will whet my appetite to re-buy one though. uh-oh... :?

Stu, who I bought it from, had some RC30's just ready to go, but he has other projects that keep coming first.

I just find it amazing that I can get such a fine frame, that I could not have dreamed of owning BITD, for so little money.... LUCKY ME!

That's a sweet frame you have there. I was tempted myself but with the Saracen and the DB thought I'd better not!

Looking forward to seeing it built up and ridden, especially with that parts list.

Shame you couldn't get some RC30's though, they would look the beez neez!!

What size and year is the frame again?

I've got some LX cranks on the DB if you want those. PM me and I can send some pics.

Neil..

I stand by my thoughts on the questions on the frame, i think its in lovely condition, especally considering what paint costs can run too.

I really enjoy the ride of mine, its totally different to a Dogs, and i am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on both bikes when you have them completed.

there is another just come up in the for sale section, with Columbus Max OR tube set...., i need another frame like a whole in the head right now, but its so sweet.... :oops:

Build it, ride it and enjoy it,

im looking forward to seeing how this turns out for you.... :cool:

Dave Yates... :cool:

Attachments

• 060.JPG
    060.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 1,654
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,654
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,654
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,653
Giom6: Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind. I've got some DX cranks on their way, and I'll see how they look. As for the forks, I'm pretty happy to put P2's on, as that's what the Diabolo usually came with. Having tried the fork on a dummy run, I have had a change of plan from Ahead to threaded headset and have a Tange headset on order... in fact, the poor Postie is going to be laden with little packages over the next week. I think I just need to get a seatpost sorted, and then I have enough bits to get it on the road. It will change components over time though, as at present I am buying stuff that is quality enough to do the job, but not necessarily what I want for the long term.

Carl, your's is SWEET. I saw the other frameset advertised, and was in two minds until I saw that other people were lining up to buy it. As it turns out, none of them did, which is a little annoying all round.

It is going to be an interesting bike, as strictly speaking it is too short in the seat tube for me, although the reach should be perfect. The BB to top tube c to c is 17" and the top tube to seat tube c to c is 22.5".

Does the frame number give the age of the frame (like the DB)? Mine just has four numbers stamped on the bottom bracket.

These are built with a long top tube compared to seat-tube length. They were built around Project 2 forks so geometry should be spot on.

Essentially it's a 753 rear end with modified 531 front.

Not the strongest of frames (top tube of mine came undone at the headtube on a descent near Macclesfield Forest) and Dave strengthened it up by replacing with a new Tandem tube and suspension adjusted it at the same tim - but it had been absolutely hammered round the Peaks on rigid forks with 1.9 tyres.

Mine was in constant evolution from when I got it in 93 (P2s,Hope Screw-on hubs, 231s,M735) to the state it is in now -only original part being the custom stem.... to this.
266424_10150368866083082_672683081_10398034_5832852_o.jpg

Can you explain, "essentially a 753 rear end" for me...?

I'm looking forward to seeing it built up and used :)

Neil is a top bloke and I know he'll do the frame justice.....the guy I bought the frame from was pretty sure it was delivered in 1992, ordered with P2's but upgraded to custom sprayed Rock Shox (Mag 20 I think!).

It has been stored in my shed for six years.....it was just too big for me so other bikes took priority....as Neil knows I have another classic British steel frame that needs some TLC (and is the right size for me!).

Cheers
Stu

Latest posts

Back