1983 Peugeot PSV 10: A hodgepodge of parts

72tunaboat

Dirt Disciple
I bought this as a frame and fork(with crankset, bottom bracket, and headset) off of Craigslist about a year and a half ago. I picked up parts over a few month period, and was able to make a rider of it.

It is far from a show piece, but it cleaned up OK. The frame has a few scratches, and one tiny ding in the top tube(bar strike). It is pretty light, but I havent had access to a proper scale to weigh it.

The parts are not original, but most are period correct(except the wheels).
Here is the build list:

Frame: 83 PSV 10 frame/fork (64cm) SV980
Headset: Stronglight needle bearing unit
Bars/stem: unknown/CTA
Seat/post: Unicanitor/unkown
Wheels: Shimano 6402 hubs/ Mavic Open Pro rims(blue)
Deraileurs: Simplex SLJ6600 rear/ Simplex SJA222
Brakes: CLB 2 centerpull & levers
Crankset: Stronglight 104

IMG_7041.jpg

IMG_7050.jpg

winter2010photos532.jpg

These brakes work very well, especialy compared to the original Weinmann 605 sidepulls.

IMG_7048.jpg

IMG_7046.jpg

IMG_7047.jpg

I had it built up last year with the Weinmann brakes, and orange tape

winter2010photos574-1.jpg

Ooo, never actually seen a pair of those brakes 'in the flesh'. So they do actually exist then and not just as a catalogue drawing.

Nice overall build - but it's a biggun' :shock:

Are those little white plastic 'things' in the pivot points of the rear mech 'bungs' that close the allen key hole for neatness?

Very nice

That looks really smart. I like the paint, quite understated.
I dont know anything about the brakes but they look quite interesting. Just 20 minutes ago I walked out of the CLB shop. Caithness Livestock Breeders, but I somehow dont think they made brakes ;) and if they did they would have to be the cleanest things to ever come out of that shop.
More info please

Jamie

Old Ned":3gbodjlk said:
Ooo, never actually seen a pair of those brakes 'in the flesh'. So they do actually exist then and not just as a catalogue drawing.

Are those little white plastic 'things' in the pivot points of the rear mech 'bungs' that close the allen key hole for neatness?

I bought the brakes from someone off of another forum. They are unique, as the pivots for each arm are at about a 45 degree forward angle. Some folks have reffered to them as 'self energizing'. The work real well, even with the original pads(which don't show much wear)

The rear derailleur is a Gipiemme labelled SLJ6600. I found it on ebay, and changed out the Gipiemme tag for a Simplex piece. It shifts very nice, but an 8 speed cassette takes a fine touch to the lever. The white plugs were in it, so I left them. I suppose they keep the dirt out.

I'l try and get some more pictures, when the damn rain stops

Thanks for the comments

72tunaboat":1fe9hr1p said:
Old Ned":1fe9hr1p said:
The white plugs were in it, so I left them. I suppose they keep the dirt out.

That is what exactly what those white plugs are intended for ! keeping the shit out ;)

French Pro' teams never had the white plugs fitted on the team bikes because they hindered them in changing the mech' if it got damaged.

If you ever want to remove the white plastic plugs the only way to remove them carefully and not marking the
alloy bolts is to drill a very very fine hole in the centre of the plug, then screw in a small/fine screw,
grab yourself some pliers and pull at the screw, The plug will pull out. Be warned they are tight.

Shame it has the Gipiemme names on the bolt heads these 6600's were aimed at the Italian market not the French market.

Very nice Pug' by the way :cool: :cool:

I'll leave the plugs in the derailleur for now. I have no reason to take em out.

These shifters are on their way out. I found a set of Retrofriction shifters for fairly cheap, but with stuck cables. Hopefully I can extract them with screwing up the shifters.

IMG_7266.jpg

I found this derailleur NOS on another forum. It works well, but is only one of two or three options for front mechanicals(due to the mounting braze on).

IMG_7260.jpg

The wheels are 640x series Shimano hubs on blue Open Pro rims. They are not correct for this bike, but the price was right.

IMG_7263.jpg

Sorry for the dirt, but the bike does get ridden more than it gets cleaned.

IMG_7261.jpg

IMG_7269.jpg

Back