The one and only "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For others posting their bikes and inquiring about worth it's kind of hit or miss if your questions get answered, usually a miss.

DIY search tips:

Search eBay for your bike - you can click on the 'completed auction' option on the left hand side to see what bikes sold for recently.

Do a Google search on your bike. The more you know the better. Try to find the year. Narrow the timeline to the last month or other time frame to help 'filter' for recent listings on Pinkbike or Craigslist. Using 'cached' results sometimes helps. Use 'Google images' to help ID the bike if you are struggling to find the year.

One inescapable fact is the market is FLOODED with old mid level bikes. The majority of these bikes are only going for 100-200 GBP at best. Sometimes you can barely give them away. Some bikes are a bit unique or coveted and fetch surprising prices at times but that is an exception. Best financial returns are usually achieved by parting the bike out if it has decent components on it.

Most of us here would probably recommend you give your bike a little TLC and hit the trails since you will likely get more benefit out of that experience than you would selling the bike. ALWAYS consider donating your bicycle.

pjrouse":17lydcq6 said:
Would love an approximate value of my 97 Lava Dome

The headset has split but apart from that it's in good condition for it's age.

It is in good condition and that frame is one people still appreciate. You might be better off selling the frame and bits off.

I would suggest fixing that little problem before selling it complete. You are limiting your market and lowering the price selling a 'fixer upper'.

Headset should be a 1 1/8" threadless Dia-Compe Kontak Aheadset ST-2. A used one with that piece in solid condition should be available for cheap. Ideally you would remove the stem and fork, clean and repack the bearings and reassemble.

Re: Clockwork 10th anniversary

p.[/quote]

Whoa! That is a nice bike. Suggest you post that in this 'Orange' thread with solicitations for INFO on your bike.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33003&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=495

Don't post in that thread 'hey how much is my bike worth?'. You're a long term RB user so I suspect you know the rules. RB user 'Andy B' has a 10th anny Orange Clockwork so he may be the resident expert on that topic.[/quote]

Hey Doggy....ta for the advice,I'll pop over to that thread now.My missus is from Folsom,we were up Tahoe/Napa direction a couple of years ago...thats a beautiful part of the world you've got there,cant wait to get back soon!

d

:cool: nice one,lovely wee town...may end up there myself some day!

cheers again for the tip,its over on that thread now-

take it easy

p.

Groundoggy":35cfpw68 said:
pjrouse":35cfpw68 said:
Would love an approximate value of my 97 Lava Dome

The headset has split but apart from that it's in good condition for it's age.

It is in good condition and that frame is one people still appreciate. You might be better off selling the frame and bits off.

I would suggest fixing that little problem before selling it complete. You are limiting your market and lowering the price selling a 'fixer upper'.

Headset should be a 1 1/8" threadless Dia-Compe Kontak Aheadset ST-2. A used one with that piece in solid condition should be available for cheap. Ideally you would remove the stem and fork, clean and repack the bearings and reassemble.

Thanks for the info. Trouble is I have neither the tools nor the inclination to strip/fix it myself. I take your point over the "fixer upper" but a headset replacement is all it needs so is hardly a big project for anyone.

I might sell the ringle cage seperately though.

Paul

should be picking this up either tues or weds

saracen.jpg

Whatcha reckon its worth? only pic I have so far.

pjrouse":pzz682p1 said:
Thanks for the info. Trouble is I have neither the tools nor the inclination...

Paul

Good point. I think I will apply it to answering 'how much is it worth' questions.

poweredbypies":39a63rnj said:
should be picking this up either tues or weds

saracen.jpg

Whatcha reckon its worth? only pic I have so far.

Ebay usually £100-120 ish, unless in great nick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back