powder coat my crank

adlyhobart

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
anyone have any recommendations? i have a XTR m960 crank that i have jonesied and polished but it only last five minutes before looking crud again. anyone know where i could get it powder coated in clear? cheers. ad

it shouldnt from what i have seen. i thought you meant the clear finish would go milky from uv. i dont know if it will still stay as bright as polished but not overly worried about that. i tried some rattle can "ultra ultra hard alloy wheel lacquer" but its ultra something and it aint hard!

Hahaha!

Maybe worth a go then.

I personally would just suggest giving them a go over every couple of weeks or so. Do it as 'maintainence'. Wipe cranks, check chain, lube chain etc.

yes trouble is it chips easily and when your heel rubs on it a bit it goes white. must be someone out there who has had it done?

I run these cranks and also work as an electroplater so have a few toys at my disposal. The best thing to do is polish, then lacquer them. You can clear alocrom them to get a better adhesion for the lacquer. Ideally, polish - alocrom - lacquer within 24 hours. If you build up a few layers and let it set and cure properly between it's going to be the toughest finish you get.
On mine - i just ride them, polish them every now and then. They are cranks, whatever you do will get scuffed.

hi mark, cheers for your input and yes i know they will het buggered no matter what but its horrible seeing what was a lot of hard work go dull and look naff in a week or two. what is this alocrom you speak of??? cheers. ad

It's a chromating process to allow a better adhesion between paint and the alu substrate. If you find someone doing it and ask them nicely they may throw your cranks in for a few quid with a load. Make sure you get the lacquer on them in 24 hours though as the alocrom sets as it where.

Edit: o and make sure it's clear, if they offer Alocrom 1200 say no - it's yellow!

Back