Rotec Pro Downhill Resto-Custom Build

Hi there,

Just couldn't help myself. This is an incredible build. Everything is just perfect: the subject chosen, the craftsmanship, and the followed path.

I witnessed these bikes live back in '98 in Spindleruv Mlyn in Czech Republics Europeans. I do remember even now, the anti talk about them. Still, they were so out of the picture. Tottally different then any other "sheep in the field". Always loved their approach. Too bad, it had to pass so many years, to unveil itself for what it trully was.

And lastly, even better feeling, is to see that this enthusiasm is shared by so many out here.

Best of luck with the build mate.

Take care,
Pupet

Update:

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

It's been a long wait for the anodizer, and they still claim a "couple more days"...

In the meantime, I have built the wheels and fiddled with the brakes some. The rear caliper is NOS, so all it needs is fitted and plumbed to the lever. The front DH04 brake caliper was rebuilt with new seals. I still have to run the Goodridge braided lines and bleed the brakes, but I need the fork installed first. And the fork parts are at the anodizer...

Here is a shot of the rear wheel and brake:
HPIM2358.jpg

The rims are custom anodized velocity P35's. Hubs are Hope Big'Uns and spokes are DT Swiss.

I should have the fork parts in a few day, but then they get sent back to White Brothers to be assembled into a fork. So three plus weeks additional wait to have a fork I would guess.

Good things come to those who wait (or so it is said)

Your Beauty

Hey Velomech, Sully here....oh sorry, Mr Rotec to everyone else!

Damm it man you are amazing! The frame is looking amazing and you're making me Verrrry proud!

Great job on the all the parts you've restored..only wish the orginial owners of Rotec would have done the needle bearing setup...soooo simple and the added cost would have been a savour on their part warranty wise it would have saved a lot of bad press on there part.

Those boys on the team that EC managed got such a bad raw deal.

Ill be visiting more often.

Re: Your Beauty

Sully":2lkvnurr said:
Hey Velomech, Sully here....oh sorry, Mr Rotec to everyone else!

Damm it man you are amazing! The frame is looking amazing and you're making me Verrrry proud!

Great job on the all the parts you've restored..only wish the orginial owners of Rotec would have done the needle bearing setup...soooo simple and the added cost would have been a savour on their part warranty wise it would have saved a lot of bad press on there part.

Those boys on the team that EC managed got such a bad raw deal.

Ill be visiting more often.

Welcome fellow.

This thread wouldnt exist without rotec but i think its safe to say that velomech is a tad errrr magic at what hee is doing right here.

Hi Sully!
Thanks again for providing some key parts for this restoration.

Update:

I'm still waiting on fork parts from the anodizer....

But I do have something cool to share. I was going to wait until it was anodized to spring it on everyone, but since anodizing moves at glacial speeds in this town, I've decided to post it up naked....

With this frame lacking any sort of chassis kinematics to control pedal bob/squat/dive, it needs a shock with a proper low speed circuit on compression and rebound. The best shock on the market right now for managing/tuning the low speed circuit is the Cane Creek Double Barrel.

Feast your eyes on this:
HPIM2371.jpg

Two issues get in the way of using this shock on the Rotec.
1: The width of the shock body prevents the shock from fitting between the frames shock mount tabs. Which means you can only use the lower shock mounting holes. But the geometry is only good in the upper mounting holes (for DH purposes)
2: The stock shock has an extended lower eye/shaft to reach down through the swingarm.

I solved both problems with a custom CNC'd lower eye/shaft. I Shortened the shaft to net the desired geometry with the shock mounted in the lower hole on the frame.

It would be a shame to not ano the new shaft black, so off to the lazy anodizers it goes...

Dang! that cane creek dwarfs the Tc. The custom shaft looks beefy too.
Once again- nice work!

Back