Rigid > full susp ?

A full suspension bike can be just as efficient at using your energy as a hardtail or rigid.. You just need to learn to ride it a little differently that's all.

Unless it's an early Kona 4-Bar linkage thing... Bob bob bob bob bob bob..

The best full susser I had when it came to pedalling efficiency was a Giant NRS... That was awesome and I wish I'd never ever sold it. Absolutely zero pedal bob so it behaved exactly like a hardtail until you hit a bump.

oldschool":cjufcf03 said:
if your a real bloke you would have a hard tail for the lot :p which konas had the 4 bar linkage barney

I don't think that 4 bar linkage is the correct term for them (it was just the first term which popped into my head when I was writing the post!)..

I'm referring to this style:

2005%20Kona%20Dawg%20Primo%20Frameset.jpg

Bob bob bob bob bob

Edit - Just googled "Kona Four Bar Linkage", and it is the correct term as lots of Kona frames used them..

offroadjim":25ufjyps said:
i've been getting the impression you lose some momentum or something with susp frames. into the shock .

hmmm, not so sure about that. changing direction uses up energy as objects want to go in stright lines, eitehr due to gravity or inertia.

with an FS bike, the front and rear suspension will take up a lot of the ground's irregularities so that you and all the unsprung components of the bike (which is most of the total mass) carry on unimpeded by vertical direction changes.

a useful experiment to see which is most efficient would be to take 3 bikes, rigid, front sus and full sus and roll down the same hillock from standing start and time them.... maybe....

... and according to wikipedia:
Besides providing obvious comfort to the rider, suspensions improve both safety and efficiency by helping to keep one or both wheels in contact with the ground and allowing the rider's body mass to move over the ground in a flatter trajectory.

Back