Is it just me?

totti

Retrobike Rider
Or does anybody else hate the term "Hack Bike" and "Pub Bike" ??
Both are used quite often on this forum... and I was just wondering if it irritates anyone else as much as me. :LOL:

I'm just off out now on my "Bike Bike"... ;)

I don't think the terms bother me, but I suppose it depends how you look at it.

I don't go to the pub, so I don't own a pub bike.

As well as bikes, I also ride horses, and a 'hack' on a horse means a ride of indeterminate length, over mixed terrain consisting of roads, bridle paths and permissible track. It could also include some jumping and high speed work. So I guess any of my bikes could be described as a hack bike.

depends where u live

if i park my marin novato 2008 for more than 5 minutes I mysteriously always find 2 hoodies leaning nearby! its like a magic trick! so for me a pub bike or grocery getter just means a decent enough bike that slips through "hoodie" radar, I'm usually ok as i also wear hoodies and always carry insurance by Mr Sranley in London :)

Doesn't bother me as much as tax dodgers or Twitter. Many people have one bike that they use for all occasions, which is cool. But in a world of bike people, you find folk who have different bikes for different occasions.

It's a bit like shoes: I've got some for running and some for work and a pair of wellies.

Pub bike, hack bike, rat bike, hoodie blinder, skunker, shopper, Kona: are just easier ways of saying this is my 'happy to leave it outside--if it gets scratched that's okay--think I fell off it after last night's beverage excess but I don't really care--use a 3 quid wire lock if I can be arsed bike'.

;)

drummondjhn":34xibelh said:
Had never heard of the pub bike saying untill a few year ago well not in Scotland any way

Is that not because in Scotland every mode of transport's primary function is to aid visiting the pub, hence the prefix is redundant. Otherwise it would be pub-bike, pub-taxi, pub-car, pub-scooter, pub- roller skate, pub-pram, pub-shoes....

pete_mcc":36x3zhel said:
drummondjhn":36x3zhel said:
Had never heard of the pub bike saying untill a few year ago well not in Scotland any way

Is that not because in Scotland every mode of transport's primary function is to aid visiting the pub, hence the prefix is redundant. Otherwise it would be pub-bike, pub-taxi, pub-car, pub-scooter, pub- roller skate, pub-pram, pub-shoes....

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I get very upset when bikes get damaged ,stolen or scratched unnecessarily. A hack bike/pub bike is a bike im happy to lock up in town, that will get scratched by locks and bike racks, that i can leave dirty for weeks at a time, that i can attach the tag along, lights,locks, bells and which most importantly the loss of would not leave me feeling depressed forever.

I also like the idea of a top notch bike being made to look like a dog and a heap of crap to those not in the know

I don't think the OP was objecting to having such a bike, more the terms they're known by.
I ride my bike purely for enjoyment so never have to leave it anywhere (I don't even own a lock for it) so thet're all just bikes to me.

Back