Best style of suspension?

The Trek 9000
9000Side.JPG

is one design that I've always looks like one that would break easier, it doesn't look like there's enough strength in the stays. Not that I've read about them breaking, but I've also always liked it. Only thing I don't like is that there isn't much space in the triangle for a shock.

I have just updated my model. This is what I've come up with.
rearsde2.jpg

2linkages1.jpg

I've made the driveside thicker, it has 15mm diameter and is 'squashed' which should give it more lateral strength, without too much weight being added.

I've downloaded a demo of linkage and I'll play around with it to try and work it out. :LOL:

They look like extremely long chainstays. I think you're going to struggle to make it stiff enough also. You've got a slight falling rate going on also, but that may well be deliberate :)

When the Specialized patent over the four-bar or Horst link design lapsed, he expected more companies to adopt it - it's a convenient way to prevent the single-pivot arc problem of shortening the wheelbase as the suspension compresses. The shape the rear axle describes as it moves through its travel is important.

The bike in your picture is a single pivot in terms of axle path.

I've shortened the chainstays, but I can't find the original geometry so it's not quite right. Started working pivots too.
3backside.jpg

3linkages1.jpg

This will have a bolt holding it together, the same as the Whyte pivots.

I mean't 120mm travel, not 150mm :LOL: and it is an XC design. I've got drawings of a DH design but I haven't started working on that yet.

With your rear pivot where it is, pedal induced bob will be present, this is why the single marins were very good with the pivot inline with the chain when in the middle ring.

KISS Keep It Simple Stupid

merckx":1d3jap63 said:
Trek 9000. Best suspension design ever,period. just do it.

Your joking right? This bike generally comes top of the list for worst ever suspension design.

I always considered pedal bob to be fixed by a better shock. I also read about the Klein Mantra eliminates this, so I'm trying to think of a way to incorporate it.

I'm not an engineer, but I think the chainstays will need to be beefed up. Also, I think there will be too much leverage on the upper seatstay pivot. Maybe make the pivot in-line with the stanchion clamp, and move the pivot out closer to the stanchion to reduce the torsional load on the pivot... something like this (just a quickie to communicate the concept):

Attachments

• pivot.jpg
    pivot.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 787
Back