1992 GT Team Avalanche FINISHED

Time for my first small update.

Frame and Forks

Couple of small things for the frame and forks to get them how I wanted and Gil was the man for the job.

3D and GT decals added to the forks, along with a Prestige decal for the seat tube.

p1020205c.jpg

p1020204i.jpg

A nice NOS XT Sharkfin was also added,

p1020198u.jpg

Next on the list,

Steering

Some may have seen I have been on the hunt for Tioga gear. There are a few reasons for this,

It is affordable and available NOS quite often,
It is Japanese made (the good bits) like the frame,
It looks and works well!

I sourced a NOS 1 1/8" Headset from the states, I think it is a little earlier than the frame but it is alloy and looks good.

p1020197s.jpg

I struggled to find a T-Bone NOS (never when you want one!) but picked up a rough one from the forum.

p1020153m.jpg

Not wanting to use it like this I had some paint mixed up and had my 1st attempt at using a rattle can!!! The colour match is actually pretty damn close. A couple of coats of primer, 3-4 coats of blue, and some Tioga decals gave me this,

p1020202f.jpg

It looks good but needs some clear coat for protection and I have already scratched it so needs a touch up. I have my eye on a flip flop on ebay so may end up swapping but that is black.

Bars wise what else but Tioga Prestige, NOS from Germany.

p1020152e.jpg

And finally on the frame with a Tioga cable hanger,

p1020208d.jpg

I love this project so far, irons in the fire include some M900, more Tioga prestige, and fingers crossed. . . . .Revolvers.

racer x":buqqp8ww said:
just pictured your bike in my head mate and it looks great :cool:

Cheers mate, it's no Xixang but it will be sweet. Problem is I keep wanting to buy more parts. . . . . . .usually yours :LOL:

luke
i was so tempted by that,glad its gone to you mate
for what its worth i concour with radoslaw , i have a 91 (i think) steel
avalanche that i got karma ,got a seat post stuck in it and 20 yrs of wear and tear on it , i built it in tandem with a wicked fat
the GT just feels so much more alive , yours i would imagine will be more so with that eclectic tubeset choice

get on with it then

Gravy Monster":27ndzriq said:
Wow Luke :cool:

This bike looks great and am really looking forward to seeing this in he flesh :cool:

Tioga tyres I hope ;)

Cheers mate. I do have some Tioga Psychos that will clean up nice so chances are they will end up on there :LOL:

TBH I am not looking at a Tioga build as such, more Japanese one. Panaracer smoke/dart are cool too. The bike would have originally had Ritchey tyres which to the best of my knowledge were also Japanese made.

By my thinking the only non Japanese made part will be the Flite!

mikee":27ndzriq said:
get on with it then

:LOL: Doing my best mate, only stumbling blocks (read expensive!) are the wheels and cranks.

Original Araya RM20 rims and M900 hubs are my preference, along with the lovely Tioga Revolver cranks.

look forward to seeing it built m8

go for 730 , go on you know it makes sense
know what you mean about araya rims tho ,things of quality

Rahbari":14eyryud said:
Great frame and awesome colour!

You have a 1992 frame and fork so you should go for a 1992 stem as well. It looks like this:

another_flip_flop_162.jpg

(C) legrandefromage (this stem is now with me)

You should really get the stem painted in frame and fork colour.

I have a very similiar project: I got a 19inch 1992 GT Psyclone frame which is getting a re-paint at the moment. I will try to get the original yellow. As I did not find the matching 3D-forks I took the similar 2x4-forks. I will also get the flip-flop-stem repainted in matching colours but will probably try to use some turquoise Ringle stuff.

I will also use the XT U-Brake and probably build the rest up with XTR900.

The 1992 Team Avalanche had the same setup, I think:

dsc07685_506.jpg

(c) gm1230126

You just gotta love it when people copy your pictures without asking and take over ownership :D :D :D

Back