Rock Lobster not a US one

Notwithstanding what the seller's recollection is, everything about that bike says 1997/8 Rock Lobster Expert. Certainly the build is from then, but the frame has a detachable seat clamp, cable stops on top of the top tube and no canti bridge, unlike the early NTi frames. They also had 1" head tubes incidentally. The gusset is also much more 97 than 94.

I don't recognise the serial number format, but more likely than not it's saying it was built in late 96, consistent with it being a 97 model. I don't know what maker was 'G'.

Do the stickers on the seat tube say what the tubeset is?

See my link Mate & you'll see mine is a '94. So as Anthony says, your bought bike is later than that as the early models were Tange Cro-moly...I've never found out any more. But you could always speak to Merlin direct...

This came up on an alternative forum...
Bill Nicol of N.T.I. was looking for kind of an affordable 'house brand' to sell, he knew of me and figured that my designs were well liked by the locals and could be duplicated as limited production frames made in Taiwan. Bill offered me a kind of partnership and we proceeded, making about 400-500 from 1993-1998. Now the range has expanded to have aluminum and titanium versions offered by Merlin Cycles Ltd. who took up the partnership when N.T.I. closed its doors in 1998. You would have to ask Merlin about the production numbers for the frames produced after N.T.I. folded.

So, could be yours is 1998 onwards...

some pics

Attachments

• P1020527.JPG
    P1020527.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 3,996
  • P1020528.JPG
    P1020528.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 3,996
  • P1020530.JPG
    P1020530.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 3,996
Anthony":3vxt0saw said:
Do the stickers on the seat tube say what the tubeset is?

Heat treated 7005. I would have expected Easton tubes, but the frame is very nice.

This is the best picture I have from a Merlin advert, December 1997 - very similar to yours except for the canti bridge, so your frame must be from a later batch during 1998. The frame was £199, and Merlin used to offer really keen prices back then, so he could have had it built up with full STX-RC including hand-built wheels with db spokes for £499. Believe it or not, the Indy SL was c£275, so the bike probably cost £750-775.

Attachments

• 1997 Rock Lobster Expert AL Merlin advert.jpg
    1997 Rock Lobster Expert AL Merlin advert.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 3,983
Nice find! Bit of a gap though in dating it? Hardly Antiques Roadshow...14 years old but still plenty Retro, or does it need moving to the '98 Onwards...Still, a lovely bike for what you paid...

A very big thank you for all the information, there is very little wrong with the bike apart from the patina from use, as I will add to this its not an issue. Out of curiosity tomorrow I will weigh and publish, it does strike me as lighter than most of the retro bikes I have.
For me it is a learning curve and I get as much interest from it as well as the tinkering and riding

Probably not much help but the Kinesis 7005 sticker on the tubing is identical to that on my 2010 Merlin Malt 1 frame. The frame number on that started with a 'K' as does the frame number on my 2010 Rock Lobster Team Tig SL, which is Easton Superlight tubing.

You got a bargain there, looks superb!

bhill22":gva2qnnr said:
For me it is a learning curve and I get as much interest from it as well as the tinkering and riding
Damn Right!!! That's what it's all about...There's a few Rock Lobsters on here, we should form a mini club...

Back