2012 Orange 5

firedfromthecircus":2ka2mzaf said:
I'm not really into full suss bikes.

But there is something about the five. Quite fancy one myself. :LOL:

What's your background in relation to suspension? Many previous bouncy bikes, and how are you finding this?
I think the last full bounce I had a shot on was a mates Turner(?) back in '97. I'm sure they have advanced somewhat since then.

I had a Cube 110 pro before this which was pretty good , but soft compared to this - the 5 also feels very robustand well built, also on technical and downhill is unbelievable . I say go test ride one

It has much more character too :cool:

theredchili":1mwjsa4s said:
I say go test ride one

Cheers.

Might have to see if they have any for hire at GT ;)

edit to add: Just checked. They do. Is it time to start counting my pennies :shock:

That's nice, great colour too.

The 5 is a good old school design that works and has been refined over the years, if it aint broke don't fix it!

I think a Transition Covert would be a suitable rival to the five in terms of capability, need to try a few out.

Well , I must say after going out 6 times in Seven days , I'm loving the 5 , the smiles are getting bigger as I'm getting more used to the handling !

Threw it down a downhill run tonight , very capable and look forward to pushing it more :cool:

theredchili":gufttpvs said:
I had a Cube 110 pro before this which was pretty good , but soft compared to this - the 5 also feels very robustand well built, also on technical and downhill is unbelievable . I say go test ride one

I went the other way, from an Orange 5 to a Cube AMS 100, which in the long term was too racy, then to the Cube Sting you now see in my sig.

The Sting is bang on for me, I think it's just as capable as the 5, but a little lighter, fits me better and doesn't have the pedal jack in the granny ring that always bugged me. Maybe I should have manned up a bit and not used the granny eh!

Also found the 18" 5 too long in the top tube & the 16" 5 too short. Then the buggers go & make a 17" 5 a year after I sell my 5 :roll:

Still wouldn't say no to a 5, a classic design, British made and thoroughly bombproof. Point it down hill & let the brakes off... :cool:

Andy B":1enjfjki said:
Also found the 18" 5 too long in the top tube & the 16" 5 too short. Then the buggers go & make a 17" 5 a year after I sell my 5 :roll:

If it makes you feel any better, the 17" Five has the same effective top tube length as the 18", just a shorter seat tube...

Lovely Five btw, really want an AM or an Alpine myself!

Back